Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Blue Discharge

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by LRusso216, May 23, 2019.

1. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

This is a follow-up to a notice I posted earlier (although I can't find it). Nelson Henry was one of thousands who received a "blue discharge" because of his race. There is an attempt under way to have his discharge converted to "honorable" status. The army has agreed to expedite the process since Mr. Henry is 95.
    Army agrees to expedite appeal for WWII veteran, 95, seeking honorable discharge
    [​IMG]

2. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

What is a "blue discharge"? (Is that the name of Will Smith's latest character?) My personal opinion is that once a person has served they become a first class citizen regardless of any "extra" they might have.

3. LRusso216

Here is the explanation:

The “blue discharge” designation, neither honorable nor dishonorable, denied veterans benefits such as the GI Bill to get a college education, or the right to have an honor guard at their funeral or be buried at a national cemetery. Printed on blue paper, the discharge was a red flag to potential employers who refused to hire soldiers without an honorable discharge.
    From the original article.

CAC likes this.
  4. LRusso216

Finally!
    World War II veteran calls it 'a miracle’: Honorable discharge from Army to correct an ‘injustice,’ nearly 75 years later
    World War II veteran Nelson Henry Jr. never thought he would see the day the Army would correct his discharge nearly 75 years after he was forced to leave the military because of the color of his skin.

Henry, 95, of Philadelphia, received word Monday from the Army Board for Correction of Military Records that his discriminatory “blue discharge” from 1945 because he was black had been changed to honorable. He called the unanimous decision by a three-member board “a miracle.”

The rest is here World War II veteran calls it 'a miracle’: Honorable discharge from Army to correct an ‘injustice,’ nearly 75 years later

I wish it was the same for all of these vets.

gtblackwell, KodiakBeer, lwd and 2 others like this.
  5. LRusso216

Thanks to all for the likes. It was good to hear that this vet got his due. It was especially poignant that he was notified on D-Day.