Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Bovington tank Museum has a deal for you !

Discussion in 'Military Vehicle Restoration' started by gtblackwell, Jul 11, 2017.

1. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

At the up and coming Tiger Day you may dine with Tiger 131 for 265 quid. ! It states humans have a three course meal but fails to mention what the Tiger will consume. But for a 5 pound note you can buy a raffle ticket for a ride in 131. . If I was in the UK I would go and check it out and make do on fish and chips and spring for cod over haddock !

Gmail

I would think hard about 265 to ride in one but not to dine. Unknown to me my wife and daughter bought me a ticket to fly in the Collins' Foundations B17, 9 o' 9 about 20 years ago, $300 back then. . I would not have done it but I have a great wife and daughter.. Similar to flying on a United commercial jet :).

Gaines

USMCPrice likes this.
  2. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Could one engage 131 for a brief ride in exchange for a ... nice ... donation to the Museum?

3. Takao

Takao Ace

$300 for a B-17 ride...Yeah, I remember back when it was that low. I kept saying to myself "Next year." Then, one of those "next years", it was $450. One of these years I will go up, just not this one.

I would think hard about 265 for dinner with a Tiger, but would gladly pay it to ride in one. Although, the raffle is a nice option,

4. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

Takao, at 5 quid per ticket your chances of winning a ride would be similar to stopping one in combat with a PIAT at 100 yards !! But I would certainly buy a few

IFrugal me was not about to pay $300 for that B 17 ride but as I said my wife and daughter bought one and handed it to me. The best part of the flight was a fly over the runway. I am guessing about 150 knots but it seemed faster and certainly noisy but very exciting at 200 feet. When it landed oil leaked out of each engine in a near stream. I was guessing a total loss system ! :)

Many years later I was driving through Montgomery , Alabama and saw the distinctive tail of a B 17 sticking up from the city's airport, . Turns out the same plane had lost an engine and was waiting for a new assembly to be flown it. The mechanic said they would trade it out for the blown one. Nice surprise. It must cost a fortune to maintain and fly one ..

Gaines

5. Takao

Takao Ace

Mind you, this was some(at least 10) years ago. But I was talking with one of the pilots of a B-17 that came to our local WW2 Weekend, and he said the B-17 was averaging about $1,000-an-hour to fly.