Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Bowing Johanns........

Discussion in 'The Stump' started by C.Evans, Nov 18, 2009.

1. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

OK, by now everybody on this ball of water and dirt that they call: the Planet Earth-knows that our esteemed leader OLDD, made a HUGE gaff when bowing down very low, to the Emperor of Japan. OK, possibly he wasn't aware that he should not do such an "honor" to the Japanese Emperor and perhapse he has watched too many movies like: The Adventures of Robin Hood, The Private Lives of Elizabeth of Essex, The Sea Hawk, and Lord knows what else? but, he made a huge mistake in bowing-or at least bowing as low as he did to the Japanese Emperor.

OK, I guess he can't fully be blamed for such a gaff because of not knowing proper protocol, but, whomever is responsible for teaching out Pres these such things apparently is either NOT teaching him how to behave? or is simply-NOT qualified for the job they hold. Therefore-whether OLDD knowingly or not knowingly knows about how much it is embarassing to our Country for his foreign gaffs, but, I couldn't believe at what I saw him do in the several news stories about this huge gaff that were played time and time again on several news networks and local TV stations. On the other hand, NOT knowing proper protocol is NOT an excuse.

I THINK they in the White House NEEDS to hire someone like Goldie Hawn (all Pun intended), to teach the Pres these things ;-))

This is just a random observation on this very public gaff.

PS, the Bowing Johann term was used by Germans in reference to other Germans who basically acted like buffoons to the worlds wishes instead of having some gonads to stand up for their Countrymen by NOT bowing down to everyone as they did for decades after the end of WWII (and sometimes still are doing).

I wonder if this term can be rightfully used for our illustrious leader-who will now be seen by many more people in other countries, as a weak-kneed-spinless leader? Somehow, Bowing johann seems to fit in perfectly in this case.

tfer13 likes this.
  2. chocapic

chocapic Member

I miss GW Bush, the prick was way more funny :D

3. tfer13

tfer13 Member

Another bow

Attached Files:

4. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

There has to be some kind of compromise. A bow would be expected in honoring the host country's traditions but lets not overdo it. A bow of the head to a slight bow of the body in my opinion would be acceptable. Personally, I believe if we are not a subservant of that country and it is a meeting between peers, a bow is not necessary.... but then again that is me. Regardless, in today's times, every move will have some kind of meaning.

5. Icare9

Icare9 Member

At least your guy knows HOW to bow!
    Our dumkopf GB didn't at the Cenotaph after laying "his" wreath.....
    Still, probably wouldn't have been able to read who it was from or what it was for if he'd written it.... be thankful YOU don't have him!!

6. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

We're getting accustomed to politicians' gaffes.....we still haven't forgotten 'Yo, Blair !'.....:rolleyes:

7. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Somhow, I fear the gaffs will only get bigger with the passage of time.

Another OLDD double standard that I would like to point out is-that he wants to impose something that should be called the: "Fat Tax" on people who enjoy an occasional Soda Pop, bowl of Ice Cream, Candy Bar, Sugared Cereal, sweatened Iced or hot Tea and such, yet he goes to a fast food Burger joint, and orders a bacon cheeseburger and an order of French Fires, and enjoys a Soda Pop. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Yet, the average American Citizen who toils very hard and works long hours, cannot have the chance to enjoy what this guy gets to enjoy. This reminds me of the line said by some member of one of the Royal families: "Let them eat cake." Yet-we are not allowed to eat that cake.

8. luketdrifter

luketdrifter Ace

Amazingly I have seen nor heard nothing of this event. I have been watching a lot of local news though and they tend to leave the international news to the big boys. I guess I can understand the snickering and ha-ha's over a screw up, but really is it that big of a deal? Certainly whoever's job it is to teach the Presiden't the do's and don'ts of the place he's visiting should be up for review, but we all know it's happened in the past (Peace sign anyone?) and is it really that damaging? Imagine the uproar if he'd simple had the door kicked in and walked in the room, sat in the emperor's seat. Now THAT would have been worthy of CNN.
    Carl, as far as the "Fat Tax" that you speak of....again, never heard of it. But I will be SUPER bummed as I start every day with Mt. Dew and McDonald's hash browns.

9. Mehar

Mehar Ace

This is the first I'm hearing of it, I don't see anything wrong in doing a bow if it's custom to do it in the nation you are visiting. Messing it up though is kinda funny. I wouldn't be surprised if nations already have a few "behind the back" terms for each other.

I am interested in hearing more about this Bowing Johanne term though, tried to search for it on Google and such but no luck, and users know of anything?