Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Brand-new, don't know much, looking for family member's service

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by Sister Mary, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Sister Mary

Sister Mary New Member

Greetings, all--

I am looking for information on where a beloved family member served during WWII. I know a little bit, because I have a copy of his separation papers. But I don't know anything about what he actually went through, what his life was like, where exactly he was during the war.
    The organization is listed as BTRY-D 861st AAA AW BN.
    I'm assuming that means battery-D 861st, but I could be wrong.
    Under battles and campaigns, Ryukyus, Southern Philippines GO 33 WD 45 is listed.
    He received an American defense service medal, an Asiatic Pacific service medal, a good conduct medal, and a Philippine Liberation medal with one bronze service star.

Can anybody point me to where I can find out exactly what he lived through there?

This is my first place to ask these questions, so I apologize for my general lack of knowledge. Not only do I not know what to do, but I don't know how to find out what to do!

Thank you-
    Sister Mary

2. lwd

lwd Ace

Welcome aboard. This is probably the best board I've run across for answering questions like yours.

Consider posting a copy of his separation papers (either here or in a new thread in the information request sub forum or one of the "those who served" sub forums that seems appropriate.

Unfortunately this is far from my area of expertise but there are some very good people who will probably be along to help soon. In the mean time:

The 861st AAA is mentioned on page 4 here:
    http://sill-www.army.mil/ada-online/antiaircraft-journal/_docs/1949/7-8/July-August 1949 Screen.pdf
    And there's a picture of some of them on page 5

There's a brief mention here as well (again Okinawa related):
    Appendix A

I haven't tried this site, they have info for 861 field artillery battalion (which the AAA battalion may have transisiton to):
    http://www.ww2research.com/search-army-units-request-form/?unitnames=861st Field Artillery Battalion