Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Breaking Down Soviet WWII Losses

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by Marko M, Sep 2, 2014.

1. LJAd

LJAd Well-Known Member

And when will you stop ? 1946,1956, 1966,etc ?

If someone died in 1999 because of wounds incurred in 1944,will you include him ?

One of my neighbours was a WWI veteran,who died in 1985 (ar the age of 89) because of old age AND of wounds incurred in 1918 ? Should one include him in the WWI casualties ?

2. lwd

lwd Ace

That's a good question. The answer in part depends on what the purpose is for you data collection. In any case I suspect that after 1946 the number of deaths was probably less than the margin of error of the numbers so for most reasons it would hardly make much sense to include data past that date.

3. Tamino

Tamino Doc - The Deplorable

Either I have my garden, for fun, to eat healthy food, to keep contact with nature. It is strange that laziness, unhealthy life-style and distancing from nature are nowadays considered as attributes of "civil" and the opposite as backwardness. Is poor ugly and wealthy pretty? Are poor countries uncivilized?

4. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Back to the topic please gentlemen . Modern diets have not much to do with Soviet WW2 casualties.

5. LJAd

LJAd Well-Known Member

One of the problems for the calculation of Soviet WWII losses is the number of Soviet POW,for which there is no definitive answer :the German figures are varying between 5.269 million and 5.487 milllion,while the official Soviet figures (Krivosheev) are 4.455 million .

For the number of POW that died in German custody, there is total uncertainty : something between 2 and 3 million .

The German mortality figures for 5 june 1944 are 1.993 million, WITHOUT those executed by the SD,those transferred to the LW and KM,those released and the transport losses (dead and escaped).

Source is WWII Stats,which gives a total of 2.25/2.5 million dead .

6. Tamino

Tamino Doc - The Deplorable

Indeed, let's face the numbers and understand them.

Let me first ask a question: Which number is large enough to be horrific when it represents a number of murders? I really don't know. One is too much, not tens of millions. Any number proposed in this discussion leads to just one conclusion: all of them must have been involved in murders, this way or another. There is no other way to explain tens of millions of murders in such a short time. To understand that we don't need exact numbers. Just the order of magnitude.

lwd likes this.
  7. green slime

green slime Member

Hear hear!

Well said Tamino.