Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Bremen U-Bootbunkerwerft "Hornisse"

Discussion in 'German U-Boats' started by Jim, May 19, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Jim

Jim Active Member

via War44
    At the beginning of 1943 the nazi's decided to produce/assemble U-Boote (submarines) in Bunkers. It was planned to build U-Boats of the type XXI in a bunker with the codename Valentin in a nearby village called Farge (25km downstream).
    In the spring of 1944 a special committee decided that a U-Bootbunkerwerft (shipyardbunker) should be built for the production of the hullsections 3, 5 and 6 of the U-Boat type XXI. This bunker was given the codename "Hornisse". It was built in the harbor in Bremen, by a company called Wayss & Freytag.

The U-Boat hullsections were produced by Deutsche Schiffs and Maschinenbau AG (Deschimag), Werk Weser AG in Bremen, by concentrationcamp inmates from the Aussenlager Bremen-Blumenthal. The plan was to build 42 hullsections per month.

On 30-03-45 the bunker was bombed by the American 8th Airforce. It was hit several times.

By the end of the war, the bunker wasn't finished. It was never used for production. Today the bunker is used as a foundation for an officebuilding.

The Bunker during its erection​

[​IMG]

The Bunker Today​

[​IMG]

2. Killa752

Killa752 Member

via War44
    i think i have got a video of that, will translate that as soon as i can.

3. Dave War44

Dave War44 Member

via War44
    Good stuff.

Looking forward to that Killa.

Then there's La Rochelle/La Pallice, where some sequences from Das Boot were filmed.

Here's a shot of the bunker in 1942, and another shot from 50 years later, after more pens had been added in '44.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]