Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Brewster Buffalo

Discussion in 'Allied Aviation Of WWII' started by Prospero Quevedo, Apr 14, 2021.

1. Prospero Quevedo

Prospero Quevedo Well-Known Member

I know theres lots of articles saying what a dog the Buffalo was, but initially it was pretty good till they added the self sealing fuel tanks the armor and the 50s. The extra 100 HP didn't help needed probably another300 to 400 HP. I thought it was a decent looking aircraft but the landing gear was not what I would have had. Lots of gear failures. Im sure if they had put a more powerful engine it would probably needed modifications like longer fuselage, new tail etc. Funny how the Finns did well with them to where they built they own prototype metal body but I think it said wooden wings and captured Russian engines like if they had gone into production I hope the they had captured a wearhouse full of engines. Funny they put all that effort and not designed something better like a bit more wing surface maybe a sleeker fuselage. I think it was great they found that Finnish Buffalo strange how it ended up in the US and in possession of the navy and the navy loaned it to that Finnish museum. Should see if the did more restoration work, those jackass Russians really messed it up. It was hard to move so the sawed off the engine and sawed it in half. Feel sorry for the guy who initially paid to find it. They say Russians can be double crossers and thieves been so many stories and he got crossed and threatened. Makes me feel Russia is a place to avoid.

Half Track and OpanaPointer like this.
  2. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Our Air Force loved them!

3. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

4. Prospero Quevedo

Which air force is that??

5. Prospero Quevedo

Well at least they got it together but I'm disappointed that they haven't done much restoration work on bw372 guess because its just on loan

OpanaPointer likes this.
  6. OpanaPointer

Some friends of mine are working on a fly-by-wire TriFokker. Been at it for a few years now, but they're just as stubborn as I am so it might fly some day. The goal is to have an airplane that is piloted from the ground so people can get a rid in the single-seater. Good progress lately with the advances in drone controls.

7. Prospero Quevedo

I watched this thing on YouTube I think it was in Germany or somewhere in Europe. The flying models they had were crazy. Some guy had a RC trifokker that was huge looked like you could jump in and fly it. Then this guy had a huge b17 the cockpit cabin opened like a clam shell and a guy could get in to operate the controls the navigation and radio compartment swung up and over to one side and the passenger could get in. Also kewl many of the jets there have mini turbo fan engines. Great airshow and some crashes but no fatalities except maybe someones prideand pocket book some of those models cost thousands of dollars and hundreds maybe even thousands of hours to build. Damn had one huge jet crash and start a fire, guy ran over with extinguishers and put out the fire but the model was trashed the guy was worried about salvage the engine and internal electronics. Have you seen those Chinese drone taxis. I can see people now self fly into power lines buildings, restricted air space.

8. OpanaPointer

The guys I mentioned are working on an unmanned air ambulance. It has the usual medical equipment so you can hook someone up to IVs and O2, then fly them out to a place where the bird can land and medical people extract the patient. The basic concept can be used for a flying taxi.

"Oh what a brave new world that has such people in it."

9. Prospero Quevedo

That sounds possible the Chinese drone taxis are all controlled by a central computer and has a small group of workers programming flight pickups and dropoffs and monitor systems. The drone capacity is 1000 pounds two passengers or goods. They say they even use them for delivery but I really think things would get messy if amazon starts their drone delivery. Can you imagine hundreds or thousands of drones making deliveries.

10. OpanaPointer

Basic feature of such as system has to be a "conflict avoidance system" to avoid collisions. The air ambulance will have this and the ability to be landed by a person with a cell phone and the right app. It's a VSTO (very short take off) plane, built around planes used by bush pilots in Alaska.

11. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

upload_2021-4-14_23-27-4.jpeg
    photography.
    Brewster Bison...
    [​IMG]

upload_2021-4-14_23-24-53.jpeg

12. OpanaPointer

Sweet!

13. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

There’s a bit of a Polikarpov about it...the Buffalo beat out the early Wildcats...

Thumpalumpacus and OpanaPointer like this.
  14. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

upload_2021-4-14_23-37-49.jpeg

15. Prospero Quevedo

Hmmm sounds like a lot of computer control's and flight radar avoidance systems maybe they can modify the TCAS system the thing is already programed for flight monitor and collision avoidance maybe its tech that can be incorporated.

OpanaPointer likes this.
  16. Takao

Takao Ace

Brewster Bison....too funny.
    Nose of a hellcat, canopy of a F4U, tail of a Wildcat. But, Nothing Brewster about it.

The wings look familiar. But escape me at the moment.

PS. you did read the disclaimer, didn't you?

17. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

I’d say a clipped Vultee Vengeance...

It’s a model mate...

18. Prospero Quevedo

Hahaha, yep says fictional based on facts, that one the actual 40 planes built for the navy were stretched but after eval the navy decided they were unsuitable and sent them to the Philippines and all lost when the ship was torpedoed. I might have to scratch one just because it looks crazy. Going to have to read that article on the real model and see if it says what he did. I

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  19. Takao

Takao Ace

That's it...Wings of a Vultee Vengenance.

More properly, it is a kitbash.

Although, I guess it would count that Brewster built some Corsairs - the F3A.

20. R Leonard

R Leonard Member

F3A's - the USN refused to send them to combat. My father, with no small experience in USN fighters of the day, including happily in various models of F4U's and FG's always said when he flew the F3A it just didn't feel right.