Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Britain does not enter into a treaty with Poland

Discussion in 'What If - European Theater - Western Front & Atlan' started by T. A. Gardner, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Tomcat

Tomcat The One From Down Under

Oh my goodness, I am still deciding as to whether or not this post requires a real answer.:rolleyes:

2. bf109 emil

bf109 emil Member

This was one of Hitlers biggest failure not to realize the threat made to German to back Poland was unlike other made diplomatically, but one proclaimed to the public and media, and for all the world to hear...Hitler still assuming the capture of Danzig corridor, and war ending quickly would fail or end alliance given to Poland and not have the British follow through with their threat was a blunder of massive proportion

3. von Rundstedt

von Rundstedt Dishonorably Discharged

Well if the situation like this did occur here is another senario.

Germany attacks Poland and France has no choice but to declare war on Germany, but this is put into chaos when the Soviets enter the frey.

France has a major problem on it's hands what to do with the Soviets, to declare war on them or not, if they don't it is a show of weakness, if they do it would be catastophic and shows up France's promise of military aid and would leave French promises worthless.

v.R

4. Miguel B.

Miguel B. Member

I like your cenario Von Rundsted... It'd be a spikey situation to say the list. And would a declaration of war to the soviet Union be a valid threat? I mean their aid to Poland was nothing more than bravado seing as they had no chance of really supplying direct help to Poland...

Cheers...

5. von Rundstedt

Hey thanx for the compliment MIguel B.

It is based on what happened when Britain and France promised aid to Finland and her conflict with the USSR.

But now we have France on her own.

v.R

6. bf109 emil

bf109 emil Member

This is a what if thread...as Britain did enter a treaty...one which Hitler and Ribbentrop should have realized was made both public and to foreign powers...Hitlers dash into Lorraine/Alsace...Sudetenland...Czechoslovakia where all done while other countries where played, or hadn't made a formal declaration....foreign affairs in Germany assumed a dash to secure the Danzig corridor, would be quick, and a change or Britain not going to war was now impossible....Terrible costly error on Germany's part

7. bf109 emil

bf109 emil Member

Was France obligated to help Poland?, or to fight Germany?and if Poland never had England and Frances agreement to their backing them, would they have snubbed Hitlers repeated request to reverse the treaty of Versaille declaration and return the port of Danzig and the coridor which had cut Prussia fron access or contact with Germany..It can be looked at 2 ways...Polands bravery was at the term of having a big dog or 2 in your yard...with out these 2 allies ready to back them...It is my belief a settlement to allow the danzig corridor and open up the reuniting or Prussia with Germany...but by having these 2 allies Poland sat with deaf ears, and on Sept 1, 1939...all hell broke loose for the world to experience

...if France had taken steps to enter Germany through the declaration of war..rather then sit at the Maginot line and wait..to send in what was a superior in Numbers, and some say design armoured attack into germany backed by the large airforce..the apple was ripe to be plucked...but Adolphs gamble that their would be no need was correct again...helping to vault his legend

8. von Rundstedt

The main focus of this thread indicates that Britain did not enter into a mutual assistance treaty with Poland, period. France however did.

France does indeed carries out her threat of a declaration of war on Germany and does what she did historically and sends in 9 divisions into the Saarland and sits there but goes no further as the French Army is not trained in offensice action but rather defensive action, a stalemate occurs.

Also historically The Soviets enter into the equation with it's own invasion of Poland, so what does France do, as pointed out in a previous post of mine, France has only two options.

Declare war on the Soviets. Can France defeat Germany and Soviet Union.

or

Revokes her declaration of war and look politically weak.

v.R

9. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

This was possible on paper, the problem is that the French Airforce was in fact much weaker. There were not enough aircrafts ready and they were too diversified, forcing pilots in extra training. There were too many observers, not enough fighters and the bombers were obsolete. The Morane fighters were still ok in 1938 and even 1939, but the French compared them them with captured ME109s in 1939, so when the new engines were fitted by the Germans just before May 1940, the Moranes were outmatched which surprised the French when it was too late to react. The good Dewoitine 152 was produced at the last moment and the few Curtiss aircrafts were mostly left to Polish squadrons fighting for the French. When you add the prototypes and the costs etc.. It would have been impossible for France to be ready in 1939 (the breguet 691, early version of the 693, was still having test flights in the Sahara and at Bricy for instance) , even if the Germans had weaker engines for their early Emils too then.

10. bf109 emil

bf109 emil Member

skipper i agree but in the first few weeks had the French not sat, what opposition was their to these
    planes to oppose them on a front defended by the west wall??most air-groups and fighters where busy trying to produce the crush of Poland,,,France had an opportunity and missed it in my opinion

and to add future salt into wounds the 400 Luftwaffe pilots shot down in france where returned when france capitulated rather then sent to remain POW i9n Britain