Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Britain & France don't declare war on Germany

Discussion in 'What If - European Theater - Eastern Front & Balka' started by Oestreich, Feb 22, 2008.

1. British-Empire

British-Empire Member

If Britain and France had stayed neutral as very nearly happened then I expect the Axis forces would have defeated invaded the USSR in 1940 not 1941 and it's likely that Japan would have entered the war against the USSR when the Germans had reached Astrakhan as the Japanese Strike North group in the armed forces and government had wished.
    If this is the case I can’t see the USSR surviving long.
    Hitler’s next plan after the conquest of European Russia was a naval build up and final war with the USA.

2. British-Empire

British-Empire Member

The Germans believed 6 divisions alone deployed on the Siegfried Line (West Wall) Siegfried Line - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia backed with air power could hold the French at bay while war was going on in the East with enough time to reinforce it.
    By 1940 with the French Right likely to be in power war with Germany becomes far less possible.

3. Tomcat

Tomcat The One From Down Under

The Japanese in a full fledge war against the USSR would lose against them just look at the japanese invasion of the USSR before ww2 and how that turned out, so they would be no help to the Germans except possibly diverting a few troops away the western russian front.

About the Germans they wouldn't have the resources to complete an invasion of Russia while relying on horse drawn supplies and reinformcents. In my opinion no singular country in the world other then the USA has the manpower, industiral power and military power(well this last one not until later in war so lets say 'military potential') to make a completely successful invasion of the Soviet Union, as I have said many times supply lines become to over extended and the sheer mass of land in the soviet union is to much for anyone nation invade..

The japanese are no mlitary match for the Soviets this was already proven this in previous battles between the two.

4. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

Tomcat I have to agree with others here that your are :deadhorse: LOL.

5. Tomcat

Fair enough

I know I am relativey new and all it is just annoying that people get proved wrong time and time again with everone of the post which also sound dumber and dumber and they keep fighting. I know that I should just leave it be but it just frustrates me so much, why cant these people just find some one else to annoy?:mad:

This isn't just related to this forum but in general.

6. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

I know exactly how you feel :). But it seem from his responses to you and others that have posted that the logic will just not sink it LOL.:rolleyes: Sometimes I just can't resist it also :).

7. British-Empire

British-Empire Member

Was going to post the second parts of my time line on the Lord Halifax thread and Chamberlain thread but it appears both have been shut down for some reaosn.

8. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

That is because you failed to follow the "What-if" rules.

Your timeline was a simple "this is what I think" would have happend. Your what if lacked historical backing and any explanation as to why things would have happend the way they did. You failed to address any of the rebuttals which other members have expressed with any facts based on historical events. Your answers simply were on the lines of " Because I said so and most will agree". Such threads cause nothing but tension and are a waiste of time. ;)

Read the "What-if" rules and you will get it.

9. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Slava is correct. The What if rules were changed after Jan 1st of this year with thanks going to Musso, who authored them and Otto, who approved them.

However, you will see What ifs floating around that don't meet the current rules. These were created before Jan 1st and were allowed to run their course, but some keep rising up like Frankenstein's monster, flailing around, and scaring the the citizens. Every now and then, I sneak into the What If laboratory, creaky doors and lightning flashes, and close some of the more heinous threads,* so the we don't have to worry about Igor mixing up the brains, as so often happens.

*These more often that not, involve the repititious and tiring "How can we get Germany to win?" threads that are started by every Tom, Dick and Harry.

10. British-Empire

British-Empire Member

I answered everything asked it's just that many here did not like the answer.

My original post that was banned just dealt with the fact that Chamberlain offered no Polish gurantee which he came close to doing so why was that banned?

11. Tomcat

No you thread was banned Because some members may have gone a little to far with there posts by 'attacking' another member. Basically it just got a little out of control so it was closed to restore order. Plus read the last two post before yours explaining about the broken rules of the 'what if' forums.

12. Za Rodinu

Za Rodinu Aquila non capit muscas

Hang on! I'd rather say you have evolved very rapidly and in the right direction, your posts in general have improved in quality. You've started to think, and showing reasoned arguments.

This thread began as another [​IMG] exercise, then it veered into a thread about a dead thread. O Lordy Lord!!

Tomcat likes this.
  13. Tomcat

Haha thankyou Za, I do feel as though I have learned alot with this short time:)

So I guess this thread is finished with as well then

14. Carl W Schwamberger

Carl W Schwamberger Ace

You might reconsider your original premise and find some basis for how it might work.

The British PM Chamberlain and his supporters had not entirely given up on negotiating a settlement with Germany that would save the earlier agreements. They had pressured Poland to accept most of the German demands thinking that would satisfy Hitler and preserve peace. Perhaps it is possible for Hitler to play Chamberlain for a chump a while longer?

Nothing is 100% certain in history, so while many outcomes were fairly set, through reearch can turn up suprising contradictions to the popular assumptions.

15. Tomcat

We are not doubting that history is uncertain in some places and that many what if could have happened and that the British might have not declared war on Germany. However we do all agree that the British would not just sit by and watch both the Japanese and the Germans attack other members of the world although there is a chance that they would leave the Nazi and the communists to 'slog' it out amoung themselves but that would probably be about it. Britian has always moved into Europe for conflicts amoung outher countries when it threatens her interests and trade and they were certain to to this again if the battles were not containted.