Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Britain's "Emergency Fighter"- The Miles M20

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by GRW, Nov 14, 2020.

1. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Apart from China or the Spanish Civil War, there were precious few opportunities to combat test aircraft prewar. Britain wasn't involved in either.

2. ARWR

ARWR Active Member

And the wrong lessons can be learnt - both the Italians and the Soviets concluded from the SCW that the fighter biplane still had a future - and the British air attache concurred!

3. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

final answer:
    IMO, they did not have much experience in monoplanes---especially considering:
    1. airplane/monoplane technology, production, etc was relatively ''new''' technology....it wasn't like building a rifle, which had been around for hundreds of years... -critical also is mass production....mass production is much different than building even a few prototypes..
    --it's not like producing a lawnmower or even a car..there are many critical factors in airplanes:
    a. the temperature and pressure changes from sea level to high altitudes is great..this affects:
    pipes
    metallurgy
    POL
    etc

2. also considering it takes many years to go from design to the production stage
    --I'm seeing the F6F design start around 1938 and not in service until 1943, for an example --and this is in the greatest war manufacturing country in the world
    Grumman F6F Hellcat - Wikipedia.

4. Takao

Takao Ace

Problem with this is that Grumman had no experience in designing and constructing monoplanes. Their first monoplane was the Grumman G-21 "Goose", designed in 1936, and that was a twin engine amphibian - not a fighter. Further, the first metal mono plane fighter for the US was the Boeing P-26 Peashooter designed in 1932. So, not just Grumman, but all US aircraft manufacturers had no experience designing mono plane fighters.

Shoots your whole "theory" to hell.

5. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Hmmm...
    Design work began (on the CAC Boomerang) on 21 December 1941, at the CAC factory...
    The prototype commenced test flights on 29 May 1942...
    On 15 July, No. 1 Aircraft Depot RAAF received A46-1 (bu. no. 824) from CAC...

Testing of later Boomerang variants found that they compared favourably with the Spitfire Mk V and early Thunderbolts and Mustangs

6. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

How many monoplanes made the Bismarck sink? Just name the plane and number.....

7. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Wrong flag anyway. the more I see, the more I understand. How about anything positive about the allied. Not Russia. Sending messages fron St Peterspurg perhaps?

Say sothhting bad about Stalin? Please. Really bad. Not your knickers, is it? Still you could say crap about me.Easy for a foreigner. So Easy. Check my quote and I will be your bad boy, boy,boy.

8. Takao

Takao Ace

Just one monoplane made the Bismarck sink...The PBY Catalina that found her after Bismarck had shaken off her British shadowers.

9. belasar

belasar Court Jester

In regard to Bismark and the Swordfish it should be noted she had no air cover and her AA defense was not particularly formidable,, at least as compared with US/UK/IJN capitol ships, primarily in a dual purpose secondary armament. As they say in a land of the blind a one eye man is king.

10. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

You did not read anything I wrote./ sent

The RAF top wanted a bilplane not a monoplane- Would you have had it Swordfish vs Bf 109?

It seems so.

11. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Must accept the torpedo hit accidentally the rudder. What do you want?

12. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

The Bismarck made a 180 percent turn and was getting away. Mr Luthjens sent a 30 min radio message and the Allied caught her. What an idiot for an admiral.Tell me I am wrong?

13. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

U forgot the U-boats were coming to help.....The Royal Navy was aware and running out of gas.

14. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

The Royal Navy was running out of fuel and the Bismarck was not sinking. The Bismarck was dead but not sinking as Winston wanted to inform. right or wrong?

15. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

How many RAF top Marshals were there who considered a biplane was better than a monoplane? BF 109 mwas a messs of a plane?

16. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

No. Did it take the Germans 20 years to make Mr Tanks FW190 or later on the ME jet? I think the He 178 was ready 1939 but I was often wrong.

17. Takao

Takao Ace

First, Lutgens thought he was still being followed, he did not know he had escaped.

Second, only 2 stations, that were close together, DFed the Bismarck, this gave a rather large area to cover, and only showed a general area. The two other stations(in Iceland & Greenland were inoperable at the time - they could have provided a more localized fix).

Third, the KGV lacked the necessary special charts for plotting the DF fix, and an error was made in plotting Bismarck's location. This sent the fleet off in the wrong direction.

Fourth, later fixes were belatedly passed along, and for whatever reasons, confused the matter, rather than making it clearer.

18. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

A. IF Mr luthjens thought he was "dead" why did he do a 180 degrees turn when he was heading to France to safety, not into the hands of RN

B. who the idiot makes a 30 min radio broadcast to try to save himself? Just to inform Hitler he was a total idiot.

19. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Read what I said. They lost the RN but Admiral was an idiot. They coukd have followed where the RN were going. IIIIIIIddddiiiooots.

20. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

What do you want? The weather was bad. The Swordfish hit was a lucky strike. Bismarck wass getting away unless Luthjens had made the 30 mins telegraph. The RN retreated due to low fuel and submarine(s) approaching.