Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

British Peace, Victory and Liberation medallions 1945-46

Discussion in 'Medals, Insignia, Badges & Recalls' started by Auchandarroch, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Auchandarroch

Auchandarroch New Member

Hi,

I did some searches on this topic but didn't come up with any previous discussions, and wondered if anyone else knows anything about them or can add any more detail.

I'm interested, and collect, medallions (largely given out to schoolchildren) to celebrate the Peace Celebrations in June 1946. There are very few compared to the similar celebrations in 1919, I guess because things were very subdued by then, the initial euphoria of VE and VJ Days having died away.

Along with several generic ones, I have 5 named by various local authorities: Pelsall, Croydon County Borough, Eythorne Parish Council, Annan Royal Burgh and City of Westminster. Also there are 1946 Liberation medals from Jersey and Guernsey.

Most reference the 8th June 1946 when Peace Celebrations took place in London and other places. One, the Pelsall one, references the 22nd September 1945, and I wondered if anyone knew why that date was significant?

If anyone can add anything to the above I'd be most interested.

Thanks

Simon

2. Auchandarroch

Auchandarroch New Member

Here's one that was just up on Ebay, from Hoole, a suburb in the east of Chester. Aluminium 32mm.

Attached Files: