Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Brody, Ukraine in March 1944

Discussion in 'Eastern Europe February 1943 to End of War' started by pullnshoot25, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Mehar

Mehar Ace

Welcome to the forums, jeanne.

Some of those members haven't visited this forum in a few years, you should send them a private message about this as well. They should get an e-mail notification that can remind them to check the forum again.

Best of luck with your search.

2. ptimms

ptimms Member

The Battle for L'vov July 1944: The Soviet General Staff Study by Glantz. It's on google as an e book for £18.00. However Brody is part of two battles, 1941 which is actually probably the largest tank battle ever and one in July 1944 when the Red Army launches the Lvov-Sandomierz Strategic Offensive Operation. The German XIII corps is surounded with 45,000 men from Div. Gruppe 183, 217 and 339. 361st Infantry, 454 security and 14th SS (1st Ukrainian). These Divisions break out but are shattered.

3. Dobrovicescu

Dobrovicescu New Member

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for every information about Berlyn, the city near Brody. I am a Film Director and I follow a Jewish family namer Kushnir or cushnir or Kurshnir or phonetically similar. This family give birth to a baby girl on 27th of November 1920. Her name was Nadejdea or Надежда. They emigrate in Romania on an unknown date. Iosif or Joseph - the father - and Maria - the mother - could do that because Maria was born in Cetatea Alba who become a Romanian city after the 1918 union when Bessarabia chose to join the Romanian Kingdom.

There is a slim possibility that Nadia's first husband, N Herescu, who gained Romanian citizenship in 1919 and with this event changed his name from Goldenberg may be the cause of this new citizenship. He was a wealthy fur trader from Chishinau or Chishinew. Nadia was monitored by secret Romanian police during the late thities and early forties as Romania lean to become a Nazi satelite. I have the surveillance file of Nadia. What I miss is her early years.

I am writing a book about her. Any information about the Jewish comunity in this area will be helpful. Any book written about Berlyn or Brody will be useful too. Thank you in advance for the wish to help me.

best regards,
    Lucian D

4. Fred Wilson

Fred Wilson "The" Rogue of Rogues

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for reviving this thread again.
    Again, a PM to the interested parties above will arrive in their email in-box.

When the book gets published, let us know here. That is one that I would buy in a heart beat. Tnx and good luck!

Just be fair warned. We can be harsh book critics if they are not true period pieces! :whip:

5. basmaryla

basmaryla New Member

Hi new here! My grandfather was born in Hucisko in 1899 and my father and uncles spent a great deal of time there with family as they lived nearby in the city. There seem to be varying accounts of events and of course I have my dad's version. Due to repeated bad behaviour in the village, they were sent back to the city and missed the massacre in 1943 by German SS. In 1944 the family made the decision to escape by train, an uncle went back for his wife and child but never made it back. The train was commandeered and went straight to a camp. Later they heard from a neighbour that the whole village of over 100 men women children and elderly had been herded into the church by Ukrainian militia, barricaded in and burnt alive. Some accounts talk of partisans and this could be true as Hucisko was reachable from Lwow (Lviv, Lvov)through a clever system of tunnels designed and built in Kosciusko days. However as it lay quietly in the forest it was also considered a safe haven close to the city which is why the children were sent there. My family heard that all entrances to the tunnels were betrayed and no one survived in them.There was a list of deceased published on the internet a few years ago where my father verified his family members which included a 75 year old widow and 8 month old baby. He visited the site of the village in 2006 and the church ruins seem consistent with a fire. By the way my great grandmother was a Dorota Bernat which may be consistent with an unpolonised version of other forum members Bernacki. Hope this is useful.