Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Bucharest, Romania, Then and Now

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by Rostick, Aug 16, 2021.

1. Rostick

Rostick New Member

Damn, so many topics. I guess "General" is always a safe bet, so I`ll write here.

I took a walk around Bucharest and created a "then and now" (images from ww2 and now) album which I posted on my website. Hope the link is allowed and also hope you like it.

Then and Now: A stroll through Bucharest - WW2 HistoryBook

I swear I worked on this much more than I should have, or expected :).

[​IMG]

LRusso216, bronk7 and Kai-Petri like this.
  2. the_diego

the_diego Active Member

I must say Bucharest is far better preserved than my own city (Manila, Philippines) after the war. Good work. And not all the losses in Manila's architectural heritage were due to war damage. A lot were due to neglect, urban blight, and unimaginative city planning.

3. Rostick

Rostick New Member

The bombings of Bucharest can not compare in any way to what Manilla went through. You guys lived an utter nightmare.

Neglect and idiotic urban planning were issues for Bucharest too after the war, during the communist regime ... we also lost so much of our architectural heritage and I actually talk about it a little bit in my article. But we still have something left because we didn't have most of our city flattened like you guys.

Kai-Petri likes this.
  4. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

...more ''forgotten'''/less popular areas of WW2....we need more threads on those - thanks .......
    .....in the US, we tear down buildings like sports stadiums after only a couple of decades!----while Europe has century old buildings .......interesting to know why Manila would be less preserved....why would that be? not as many ''big'' structures? weather? construction difference?

5. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

W
    Why was Paris not blown to pieces? The commander decided to do so. Even though Hitler demanded it. Other places I do no know the facts of?

6. the_diego

the_diego Active Member

So called "Manila" had only a few major structures but they were concentrated west of the river, near the bay. You have the Spanish walled city of Intramuros, and outside of it are the neo-classical government buildings built by the Americans. Intramuros was completely destroyed except for the main wall and the prison/garrison at fort Santiago. The American buildings were all seriously damaged but easily re-built due to the existing foundations and relatively simple (massive) design.

Intramuros after the battle. Only the Manila Cathedral (upper right) seems to have been spared.
    [​IMG]

Old Congress Building (re-built)
    [​IMG]

National Post Office Building (repaired)
    [​IMG]

bronk7 likes this.
  7. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Then and now pics are among my favorites. Thanks for this.