Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Build An Elite Battalion

Discussion in 'What If - Other' started by Andreas Seidel, Apr 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andreas Seidel

Andreas Seidel Member

Okay, say it's 1936 and you want to get the best equipment in the world at that time (and what's coming up in 1937) to create an elite motorised infantry battalion that may later be expanded to a division.

You can have stuff from all over the world.

Where will you go to buy stuff? What rifles, SMGs, LMGs? Please, if possible, choose a maximum of two-three rounds for this unit. What trucks, what jeeps? What armoured cars? What ATGs?

2. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Heh heh (@#@#@#@#) the sound of rubbing my hands together.

Where I would go to buy rifles--hmmm-thats a tough one since all bolt action rifles were obsolete anyway--I think I would still buy mauser rifles (mainly for sniping purposes)

Sub machineguns--thats easy--I would get those from the USA, I would get the Thompson sub machinegun.

Sidearms: Colt .45 auto hands down, since the Walther P-38 wasnt made yet--and the P-38 would be my second choice, then the Browning Hi-power as my 3rd choice.

Light machineguns--I would stick with the German MG-34.

Trucks: I suppose the Ford or GMC trucks for starters--I dont know how reliable the Opals or the mann--were.

As the "Jeep" wasnt invented that early--this would have to be left a blank, on my list.

Armored Cars: I would probably choose either ones made in England--or in Italy tho the Italian ones would need much improving.

I would stick with Germany for Artillery--except for the American 155mm Howitzers and the 175mm Long-Toms.

I would shop in England for Fighter Aircraft--America for bombers--and Japan for their Zero fighter.

The type of men I would have in the Battalion would be: Men who were Ski qualified, had much mountain climbing experiance, others with Navy Seal like experiance for demolitions etc, light and heavy weapons experts. For a battalion sized unit I might also attach A Sturmpioneer platoon, a demolitions platoon, one Company would be the support company (heavy weapons company) which would include the Artillery and heavy MGs and Mortars. The other two companies would be broken down into other categories(which for lack of time I cannot go into) I would even give these guys a Protestant and a Catholic Chaplain. Plus a medical, intelligence section etc. :D

3. Ron

Ron Member

HMMMMmmmmmmmm

Rifles: M-1

Sub machineguns: Thompson

Sidearms: Colt .45 auto

Light machineguns-- MG-34

Heavy machine gun would be US .50

Trucks: US

Armored Cars: US or great britian

Armour and artillery: Germany

hmm for the fighter i guess i would either get the zero, then maybe the Spitfire (was that made yet? i think so?) then maybe a few ME.109's

For bombers i'd go to the US for some B-17's

Hmmm the all men would be trained in all major weopons's of the time...or at least have some knowledge of them...Parachute training...trained for marine operations(landing from sea)...suffient in hand to hand fighting and covert fighting...every man would be competent to lead and make decisions...trained in explosives...trained in tactics and strategy...
    a percentage would be trained for intel, infiltration, and scouting....
    percentage would be trained for artillery...
    percentage would be trained in all the tactics of armoured fighting.
    heh this makes me think of video game or something ;)

4. Andreas Seidel

Andreas Seidel Member

Hey, great! Thanks very much for this so far, it sounds very good. Actually this is for the wargame I was advertising earlier, where I'm playing Persia. I want to create a new battalion equipped with the best of the best, and trained to be the best.

I really like the idea of using the .45 for pistols and SMGs. Also getting the rest in 8x57 will mean just two ammunition calibres for the infantry, which is quite good.

Armoured cars... don't know of any American models that were around in the mid thirties... England is an idea, as are Germany or Italy. Going to America for trucks also seems a good idea.

But what about light anti-tank weapons? I need some anti-tank guns that pack a punch and probably also some powerful anti-tank rifles. Remember that it's early 1936!

[ 10 April 2002, 06:42 AM: Message edited by: Andreas Seidel ]

5. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

Oh decisions, decisions.

Handguns: Colt 45 (US)

Rifles: Mauser K98 (Germany)

Machine Pistols: Thompson (US)

Light Machine Gun: MG38 (Germany)

Trucks: GMC 2 1/2ton (US)

Halftracks: SDKfz 251 (Germany)

Armoured Cars: SDKfz 232 (Germany) It was fast, had all wheel steering, 8 wheels and the unique front and rear facing stearing controls giving it ability to move in either direction rapidly. This was the base model for all future Soviet, British and South African armoured cars.

Mortars: 8cm Granatwerfer 34 (Germany) It proved highly effective and was used throughout the war on all fronts even by the Russians. I would also choose a Russian design since both countries paid particular attention to mobility armament for different reasons.

Artillery: 75mm (US)

Hvy Artillery: sFH18 150mm (Germany) I think it was available.

Anti-tank gun: 8.8cm Model 18 (Germany) Yes it was available in 36 but it wasn't until 1941 Rommel used it in the dessert campaign against tanks.

If not then what was available was 37mm (PAK35/36) This particular weapon soon became obsolete but they were accurate and deadly at the time with the use of the anti tank grenades that came later. Not many guns available at this time but I would go with a German or Russian because they were strong advocates of these weapons plus they were the only ones that made them dual purpose where solid shot or anti personnel ammo could be used.

Anti tank rifles: Don't know of any in existence but would go with a Russian version.

This is my inventory in a nutshell. Hope this helps.

6. Miro

Miro Member

For Anti-tank weapons you would probably have to go with the German Pak-37, although it was nicknamed the doorknocker in Russia because it could not penetrate any armour, it was probably the best (or the only) AT-gun in '36. There are also the British and Soviet 45mm field guns, but their armour penetration was not too great either.
    Since you are looking to create the perfect Motorized infantry division, remember that this unit has its own steel fist, ie and integrated tank regiment. Now in '36 tank production was still overlooked in many armies, so I would go with either the PzIII or the French Somua, but I would definitely pre-order the T-34 which was already being designed then. I agree with the others on small weapons, since you are not only looking for functionality but also want to keep a standard caliber to make supply easier.
    A note to Carl and Ron: The mot infantry division that included airplanes is yet to be invented, you guys seem to be a little overeager to create a complete military of a nation. No offense, but if so, then please include a navy as well. After all it wouldn't hurt to include an aircraft carrier in a mot infantry division, but the question is, do you want it horse-drawn or truck-borne ;) .

7. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Especially for Miro--OK, for a Navy--how about Uboat Aircraft Carriers--(the Japanese actually had them) but in this scenario--the Germans will be the only ons with them--if its OK by Andreas?

The trouble with uboat carriers is that they most likely couldnt carry more than two light fighter aircraft. Still, that would be instant air cover where needed.

8. Miro

Miro Member

That is actually pretty novel to me, I had never heard of the submarine-borne fighters that the Japanese had. It is a great idea though, one has to give them credit for actually realizing it.
    Can you imagine the look on the face of the bomber-pilot who just overflew a U-Boot thinking that he has an easy prey below him, only to find himself confronted by two fighters. :eek:

9. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

Yes, these submarines were part of a plan to bomb the Panama Canal. Obviously was never implemented.

10. Andreas Seidel

Andreas Seidel Member

Actually the term "submarine aircraft carrier" must be taken with a grain of salt. [​IMG]

The "famous" Panama-Canal bombers were just the largest such boats that Japan built. The "STo" class, subs I-400 to I-405, they were capable of carrying 3 planes, presumably seaplanes, and these were to be capable of carrying a light bombload. But the boats of the J1M, J2, J3, A1, A2, B1, B2 and B3 classes could all carry one aircraft in a hangar as well, totalling 37 boats, and the AM class could already carry two planes, another four boats. So there were more "aircraft carrier subs" than most people think! [​IMG]

I once dreamt up a submarine where the conning tower was offset like on aircraft carriers and that had lifts and catapults aft to carry up to forty planes. That is of course an interesting idea!

11. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Andreas--just think of the displacemnet of water--for a monster of that size. :eek:

If im not badly mistaken, there was an article of something similar to what you dreamed of--which apperaed in a magazine called: Popular Mechanics. The story appeared I think about 20 or so years ago, and I still remember the painted cover--showing just what you describe. Aircraft taking off the deck of a very large submarine.

Another twist to this is, that I also remember another story of something very similar to that in some magazine (I dont know which--probably P.M.)and it showed something like a floating aircraft carrier.

12. Andreas Seidel

Andreas Seidel Member

Oh yes, I know about the displacement. It would be somewhere upwards of 10 Kt, probably more like 20-30 Kt. I had an interesting discussion with the webmaster of uboat.net whether this would be possible. He said he thought that Germany could have built one in WW2.

After all, there have been larger subs since. The Russians even projected a submarine capable of em- and disembarking a whole mechanised regiment of infantry.

13. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

In ww2 eh? This just PROVES to me even more that the Germans always built the best toys--er weapons. Also, I think the Germans built the best clocks, cars and castles. Should I also mention the best Fraus too :D I almost married one :D M.Ruhland was the name--from Wiesbaden.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.