Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Can you help identify this shot?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by joe h, Jun 14, 2010.

1. joe h

joe h recruit

Folks we stumbled across a cast or pig iron shot that is 3" or 75mm in diameter, 8" or 205mm long. It is hollowed out in the center and less pointy like artillery rounds you see but more rounded like a 45 ACP ball.
    5 grooves are present where I presume a shell casing was attached starting ~1.5" from base stopping at 2.5" suggesting about 5.5" would be exposed if it were a live round.
    If you know of something similar a photo would be great.
    Thanks for any input.
    Joe

2. lwd

lwd Ace

3. joe h

joe h recruit

lwd,
    Thank you first for your service! Second for your reply.
    This is certainly not a live munition (nothing is concealed). It was found in a basement in MI.
    The 3" Dyer case shot could be this critter's grandpa (strong family resemblence), but the tip of mine is solid and there is no hole or trench for fuse.
    The base is hollowed out loosely an inch and a half wide and 3.5" toward tip. It also is chamfered or whatever the armorer boys would call it; meaning the outer walls are only ~1/2" wide for the first 1/2" and 3/4" wide there after for the next 3".

A buddy who served in the Navy suggested it might be a proving or ceremonial round. It certainly looks more like a sabot than an explosive shell.
    If my 14 yr old I.T. guy has time I'll try to have him post a pic.
    Joe