Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Canada or the USA?

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by Brad T., Mar 3, 2003.

1. Brad T.

Brad T. Member

Which was more important to Britain in Europe?
    Alright, for the USA, they were Essential to air supperiority in the West, played huge if not independent role in many victories in the west. Huge in Victorys. With out a dobt more important then Canada's military in Europe post 1942.
    Canada though was there since September. And one main question, atleast in my mind, What would be of Britain, If Canada said "Europes problem" Britain would possibly have starved. Also Canada was big in Battle of Britain, 88 aircrew in RAF Fighter Command, and a squadron of their own RCAF. Also, if "Sea Lion" could have happend, Canada had 2 Divisions, 3rd being prepared, in Britain(Does anyone know how many Divisions Britain had in Britain around that time?). And during Before, during, and shortly after Canada made Britain 900+ Hurricanes, (500 for themselves) to combat the Luftwaffe. They also made many other aircraft ships, veichles.)
    Big in Battle of Atlantic, Also Big in Overlord, Italy, bombing.
    What you all think.

2. Brad T.

Brad T. Member

Im personally leaning towards USA.

3. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

This could sound churlish, ie to select one would sound demeaning to the other.

Overall it has to be the USA through sheer 'weight of numbers' and industrial capacity.

But that is in no way to belittle the extremely significant contribution made by Canada, especially in the early stages of the war when help was desperately needed.

4. Stevin

Stevin Ace

I agree with Martin.

Holland for the biggest part was liberated by the Canadians. Therefor the Canadian part in the liberation of Europe is emphasized here. In history class in High school it was always the Canadians who got most, if all, of the attention.

But if you look at the overall picture...

macrusk likes this.
  5. AndyW

AndyW Member

U.S.A., no doubt. The sheer British hope on U.S.A. or USSR kept Britain in the war in summer 1940.

Cheers,

6. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Definitely USA-their industrial power put into use alone was a massive turning point.

What was it? Some 60,000 planes a year promised...??

:eek:

7. Greg A

Greg A Member

I have a WWII calendar made by the U.S. Library of Congress and actually on March they have a listing of the industrial production of the U.S. during World War II.

300,000 planes, 77,000 ships, 372,000 big guns, 20 million small arms, 6 millon tons of bombs, 102,000 armored vehicles, and 2.5 million trucks. Now granted they may not be entirely accurate as someone pointed out they labeled a British general Montgomery who wasn't Montgomery.

But not to diminish the Canadian contribution at all I think they provided an immense contribution considering their population is so much smaller than the U.S.

I don't want to choose out of respect for both.

Greg [​IMG]

macrusk likes this.
  8. Jet

Jet Member

Canada did not hesitate to send troops into Britain and did contribute a lot to the Battle of Britain, which the Brits are most grateful for. However it must be the USA as they gave weapons, food and ammunition and if it wasn't for the USA there would have not been a liberation of Europe for quite some time.

Jet

9. DUCE

DUCE Member

I'd have to agree with the majority on this one.

If you go by numbers and numbers alone, the United States of America were far more important to Britain.

However, Canadian soldiers did contribute greatly to the war effort.

Greg:
    you have a point, it is difficult to choose between the two. And your decision to not pick one or the other is a bold one.

Still, I'd have to say that the US was more important.

IL DUCE

10. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

Both were valuable contributors at about the right time for Britain. Canada immediately gave Britain manpower and equipment at a time when it needed it the most to fend off a possible invasion (SeaLion) and continue it's harrassment in a smaller theater, the Desert campaign. The American contribution later on sealed the fate of the Axis powers with it's huge industrial might and later on the manpower. In the end, it worked out very well for Britain.

11. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

Personally I have always thought Canada deserves a LOT of respect for its involvement in WW2, mainly because it was there for us when we needed help. The involvement of many Canadians in the Battle of Britain, supply of equipment (taking an example, the Long Branch weapons factory provided rifles and Bren guns that were of equal quality to those produced at RAM Enfield and in huge numbers). Canadian soldiers fought tenaciously and as I remember there were more Canadians on D-Day than Americans. However much it loaths me to say it however ;) I think that overall the US contribution was greater. Thinking about it though I would say that we needed Canada more because it was Canada that kept Britain going through the darkest (but finest) hour.

12. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I agree with you all on Canada as well. Did you know that they and the Americans formed what was to eventually become known as: The Devils Brigade?

13. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

Of course the USA wins unmatched.

However, Canada helped Great Britain since the very beginning of the war and they helped Great Britain when it most needed help. Canadians fought with the BEF in France, tried a support landing in France after Dunkirk, shot down many German aircraft during the battle of Britain, fought in the desert, the Royal Canadian Navy helped in the darkest hours of the battle for the Atlantic, fought hard in Italy, France, the Netherlands and Germany... Quite amazing for such a huge and little nation!

They helped. But the USA won the war, thanks to their ENORMOUS industrial power and reserves of 150.000.000 people back at home...

macrusk likes this.
  14. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

( Greg ; that Library of Congress calendar - what did happen on February 31st, and is it true that Christmas falls on December 15th ? :D [​IMG] ;) )

15. Greg A

Greg A Member

Actually I think Christmas falls on December 32nd.

Greg :D

16. redcoat

redcoat Ace

"Which was more important to Britain in Europe?"
    Canada in WW1, the US in WW2 [​IMG]

macrusk likes this.
  17. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

I totally agree with Redcoat on this one! ;)

18. De Vlaamse Leeuw

De Vlaamse Leeuw Member

How about France in WW1

19. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Erwin I think you hit it on the mark ! Yes for WW 1 France was the Allie of Britain, the Russians were out of the picture and the US did not get involved into late into the conflict.

not sure if you can compare Allies in this case of both war's. Sounds odd I suppose but yes the Russians and US would be Allies of Britain during WW 2

20. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

Well thought, considering that the French defended their nation like bloody fierce lions in WWI. Let's remeber that some years they held most of the German pressure and suffered more than any other country in WWI, except for Russia if we talk about the number of men killed.