Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Cape Poge Project Finds Human Remains

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by GRW, Aug 21, 2019.

1. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

"After three years of researching, digging, and sifting, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers wrapped up its World War II munitions and aircraft removal efforts on land and inland waters of Cape Poge Bay in June, uncovering guns, aircraft parts, and what are believed to be human remains.
    “We did find what we believe to be human remains,” Carol Charette, the recovery’s project manager, told The Times Wednesday.
    Once the remains were discovered, they were immediately sent to the Boston Chief Medical Examiner’s Office. Throughout the rest of the project, the Corps coordinated with the Examiner’s office. If the remains are determined to be those of military personnel, Charette said they will be further examined by Dover Airforce Base, which conducts examinations of armed forces.
    The Edgartown site was used to train naval aviators during and immediately following World War II, according to the Army Corps of Engineers website. Cape Poge was formerly the Cape Poge Little Neck Bomb Target Site.
    Fieldwork for the project began in March 2016, and included biological surveys, vegetation removal, geophysical surveys, and the removal of MK-23 WWII munitions. The munitions removal projects were conducted in the interest of public safety.
    On land, engineers found and removed 2,061 munitions and explosives of concern (MEC) and 19,842 munitions debris (MD).
    In the Cape Poge Bay waters, engineers used divers and a barge to conduct an underwater search — they found 1,774 MEC and 133 MD."
    www.mvtimes.com/2019/08/13/world-war-ii-munitions-recovery-wraps/?fbclid=IwAR1VmYoe7wiX2SY3ogAxDRKMb7qmIgD7m-WilSYejzyrviv5QuycDMrKGo4

Half Track likes this.
  2. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I was called* to a single family housing unit at Sigonella back in '70s because Mom had found something suspicious in her kid's rock polisher. One look and I yanked the power cord and told everybody to get the F out of there. It was a 40mm round. The base was built on a point of land that had been part of the German facilities back in WWII. They had tunneled into the steep sides of the point and used the dug-outs for ammo storage. Some Brit with balls of brass had slipped in prior to the Allied invasion of the island and blew all that go-bang to hell. But we were find round eroding out of the ground 30 years later.

*Closest on-duty person to the location.

3. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Bofor?

4. GRW

Grenade?

5. OpanaPointer

No, it was a shell. Didn't actually measure it. Being elsewhere was my priority right then. Patrolled perimeter until the bomb guys arrived. We had a mandatory lecture after that. You couldn't use the base exchange until you had been signed off at one of them.

GRW likes this.
  6. GRW

Aye, fair enough lol.
    Just wondered what size it was when you said it was in a rock polisher. Remember one of those from metalwork at school; didn't think it was that big.

7. OpanaPointer

It just fit, so not a large shell. Big enough for a good pucker factor when I saw it.