Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

capt. dean e. irvin "world war 2"

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by jimmc, Mar 27, 2020.

1. jimmc

jimmc Member

Not sure if this is in the right thread but I'm looking for family or friends that may of knew Capt. Dean E. Irvin, he was a captain in the 2nd division 23rd regiment k company, my father served under him in Germany 1945, I know this is a long shot but was wondering if he may of had pictures or kept like a diary of his time in Germany. I've been doing research on my fathers time in the service and am just looking for some more info. thanks

2. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

3. jimmc

jimmc Member

4. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

You need to explore sites like this for information. You're on a mining expedition, dig holes.

Jba45ww2 likes this.
  5. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

OP's metaphor is pretty accurate. I have researched several WW2 vets in my family. To find the gold (i.e. veteran specific info) it takes a lot of work & a lot of luck. Starting a thread with key info in the title is a good start. Make sure you are "Following" this thread and opt for email notifications. It's not unusual to get important replies months or years later. Also, keeping this thread active will increase its visibility on search engines. If one of Capt. Irvin's family searches his name, you want this to be at the top of the list.

6. jimmc

jimmc Member

thanks
    thanks for the tips, I do have it set for email alerts. I did obtain the morning reports of my fathers last 30 days before being wounded which some are hard to read but most I can, these do give some info on the units where about's on certain days and their activities. I did find the name of the town where he was wounded which is one of the reasons I started this research. that's where I found capt. Irvin's name so I figured why stop now, maybe he kept his own memoirs or pictures from then.

7. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Hopefully you will be able to connect with them through this Forum. I have seen it happen many times here.

8. jimmc

jimmc Member

just taking your advice about keeping this active, hopefully someone will recognize the name. thanks again

9. TxTerri

TxTerri New Member

Hello,
    I don't have specific information on Capt. Dean E. Irvin. However, I too had a relative (great uncle) that was with Company K, 23rd Infantry Regiment, 2nd Infantry Division. On one of my recent late night searches I came across this 1941 Fort Sam Houston group photo of Company K, 23rd Infantry Regiment, from the "Find a Grave" website.
    I will try to include the photo here if I can figure out how. It was included in the photos of a Memorial for PFC David Solomon Ortiz who was unfortunately killed in action
    July 12, 1944. My Great Uncle, S SGT Joe J. Hooser (family called him "Jodie") was killed June 22, 1944. What's amazing is that ~70 years later the dog tags of
    PFC David Solomon Ortiz were found by someone and given to his Family; and the dog tag (only 1) of S SGT Joe J. Hooser was found by someone else at a different time and returned to our family. Among items we have left of Jodie is a dollar bill with signatures on it. On top it says Co.K. 3rd Platoon May 21, 1944 Some where in England. Later I learned the dollar bill was what they called a "short snorter". I guess that's how I found the Memorial for PFC David Solomon Ortiz with the group photo. Every once in a while I look up the signatures to learn if they survived the war. One of the signatures is "David S. Ortiz, N.Mex." I find myself getting overwhelmed the more I learn and have to take a step back at times. It's necessary though, "Lest we Forget".
    David and Jodie are both in the group photo.

Terri

Attached Files:

ColHessler and CAC like this.
  10. jimmc

jimmc Member

thanks for your reply, i'll have to check out the find a graves and see where that leads, i do have names of men who would of served with my father from the morning reports i was able to get.unfortunatley usually the only way you got your name on those was if you were wounded or killed. thats a nice picture you attached,would be nice to find something like that with my father in it but i'm not even sure where he did his training. i recently read a book called company commander a memoir by charles b. macdonald who was a captain for i company 23rd infantry, but he talks about k company in it and basically talks about the battles and everyday experiences from the battle of the bulge to the end of the war i found it interesting because my father would of been there in the period he talks about. good luck in your search and i know what you mean about taking a step back now and then, i havent done any searching in the last few months but i think you just got me going again. thanks again for your reply.

11. TxTerri

TxTerri New Member

It was years of late night searches before that group photo showed up. Don't stop searching even it's just once in a while. It's been my experience that when you least expect it you find something more, or it finds you.
    Terri

12. TxTerri

TxTerri New Member