Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Capt. Ted Williams; USMC; Fighter Pilot

Discussion in 'WWII Obituaries' started by Terror of the Skies, Dec 19, 2007.

1. Terror of the Skies

Terror of the Skies Member

Captain Theodore Samuel "Ted" Williams​

[​IMG]
    August 30, 1918 – July 5, 2002​

Credit Given Here Sports Illustrated

2. Terror of the Skies

Terror of the Skies Member

I know it's been five years since his death, but being a personal hero of mine, and those of many others who knew him in the time he was playing, know that even Ted Williams, as hard headed as he could be, enlisted into the United States Navy as a Marine Pilot. He served as an instructor for hte F4U Corisar. He would also serve in the Korean War as a F9F Panther pilot with VMF-311, Marine Aircraft Group 33. He crash landed his plane after talking heavy fire during a mission and was awarded the Air Medal for bringing the plane back.

If you followed the stories five years ago, there was the great burial controversy about his son, John Henry Williams, who had him cryogenically frozen at the Alcor Life Extension facility in Arizona. As a note, John Henry Williams died of acute myelogenous leukemia in 2004.

3. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Thanks for posting this write-up on Ted Williams. Dang, I still cannot believe he has been gone at least 5 years already.

Rest in Peace Ted, you have many still thinking about you.

4. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

One of my favorite baseball players of all time. I cant believe I failed to recognize him as your avatar! :eek: