Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Captain Corelli's Mandolin

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by Friedrich, Jun 3, 2002.

1. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

Do you know which film I liked a lot?

"Captain Corelli's Mandolin" by John Madden.

The book is a hundred times better but the film is quite nice. The nice accents and performances were very good, the music was excellent, beautiful Greece's landscapes, a tremendous story, nice humour and John Madden's style made a really nice film!

It shows how different are three countries and their people: The Greeks are brave, patriotic and traditional; the Italians are not warriors, they just care about living nicely with women, good wine, music and foof and the Germans work a lot and make things too seriously and good...

The drama was very good and you go out of the cinema with something in your heart (which is what makes a film good).

2. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

I agree. It is great to see such films that show the other side in a normal day to day timeline.

3. panzergrenadiere

panzergrenadiere Member

I've been meaning to rent that movie, but every time I'm at the video store with my friends they keep reminding me its a chic flick or something. I guess I'll go by myself or put in some earplugs.

I've seen a small clip of the movie and I noticed that it had a hetzer in it.

4. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

Compare it to Pearl Harbor. Lots of romance but at the end it has some action. Depends on what you like.

5. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

Yes, there is a Hetzer indeed. Also there are some SdKfz. 251, some Stukas, mountain troops and the always nice Italians...

I have to say that the phrase:

"_ Heil Hitler!"

"Heil Puccini!"

Is very, very nice!!! All the opera on it! Ahhh...

6. Smoke286

Smoke286 Member

It couldn't possibly be as bad as Pearl Harbour, could it?

7. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I would like to see the movie, but I also want to see that actor in Codetalkers--which REALLY looks good. [​IMG]

8. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

The action part is nice, with real Ju 87´s. Otherwise I don´t really care about the Cruz-Cage nonsense.
    ;)

9. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

Well. The film is good, but Louis de Bernières' book is AWESOME, fantastically funny!

There you can see many details (important ones) which do not appear in the film and that explain many things. Do you know why Carlo saves captain Corelli from the machine gun's bullets? Because he was in love with him!!! :eek:

10. Doc Raider

Doc Raider Member

Yeah, I thought it was a cool, fun movie. I just liked how the italian battery was so in to singing all of the time.... it really reminded me of my italian family. There is one scene where I think they are in a tent, all singing, banging on pots and canteens. :D :D

11. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

Yes, Doc! That is one of the greatest moments of the film, when they all are taking a shower singing the most famous 'Gypsies chorus', " Vedi! le fosche notturne spoglie" from Guissepe Verdi's great opera "Il Trovatore". The beating of mirrors and things with their blades and things is identical to the opera's beating of blacksmith's stuff! [​IMG]

12. André7

André7 Active Member

I am new here and going through a lot of old threads people may be tired of reading. I figure I might add some fresh perspective on some of these topics.

As for Captain Corelli...
    It's over a decade old (as is this thread).
    I just saw it for the second time this week.

If some of you passed it up when it originally came out... You may want to give it a look. Set on a Greek island during WWII. The Italian army comes in to occupy. It has a bit of romance, a bit of philosophy about war and peace and art and love. It has a bit of action (at the end).

The locations and production values are first rate. Direction excellent. Story, also good.

Acting, very good, with a seasoned cast (John Hurt, Christian Bale in his pre-Batman years, Penelopé Cruz, always easy on the eyes).

And then there's Nicholas Cage. Well, you either like him or you don't. You either buy into his performances or you don't. If you like him, you'll probably like this movie. He has a very likeable character. If you do not like Cage... Oh, boy. Stay away.

13. von Poop

von Poop Waspish WW2|ORG Editor

I would say; relatively weak film, 'alright' being the best I could give it, but that's mostly because of the old syndrome of the book being far better, to the extent that celluloid treatments will always disappoint.
    It remains one of the best books I've ever read, firmly in the 'beautiful art' category.

14. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

Good for me....so far had 2 different girlies crying at end of it...War is hell...

15. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

I absolutely don't like Nicholas Cage, but I liked this film despite him. And yes, I read the book and it's much better, but that's always the case.

I think it explores something about humans in war. It's occupied territory, yet the doctor (the purest character in the film) is colluding - collaborating - for medical supplies. The girl is torn between her Greek and Italian soldiers. Corelli himself just wants to play music and do as little harm as possible. Even the German character is divided between his liking for the Italians and the darker German view of war.

In the end, they are all compromised and suffer.

16. André7

André7 Active Member

Sounds interesting. I have added the book to my reading wish list. I just bought a copy of "Railway Man" (piqued by the soon to be adaptation).