Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Carl, a question about a sent foto...

Discussion in 'Atlantic Naval Conflict' started by Erich, Dec 29, 2001.

1. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Carl, you sent me several mixed pics copied and one was a shot of the conning tower-wintergarten with the skipper in white hat and his # 2 ? with arm leaning on the rail. 8 Pendants are displayed, white with the black numbers indicating BRT's. This U-boot is ? and the crew ?....I want to file this in my Kriegsmarine folder.

Danke !

Erich whose on a roll, oooooooh watch the table [​IMG]

2. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hey there my friend. This Kapitan is Johann Mohr but, I have no clue as who his 2nd in command is, he looks alot to me like Dr. Hans-Georg Hess, but it isnt him.

I can get more info for you and post it here sometime tomorroe between 2pm and 6pm as that is the only timr the library will be open till Wednesday-- :rolleyes: and :mad:

[ 30 December 2001: Message edited by: C.Evans ]</p>

3. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Yes, please post it here. I've got the phot-copy in a plastic sheath and would like to fill in some info/text about the pic for my files. Cool.....

E

4. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I'll be back here later with some info, I forgot to grab my book.

5. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

OK, Erich, here is what I know on Korvettenkapitan Johann Mohr.

Gebirtag 06-12-1916 in Hannover, Germany. Ultimate rank was Korvettenkapitan.

He was CO of U 124 from 09-08-1941 to 04-02-1943. They had 6 patrols equaling 269 days at sea.

He was a recipient of the Knights Cross (03-27-1942)and Oak Leaves ( ). He was killed in action on 04-02-1943 when British ships: Corvette Stonecrop and the British Sloop, Black Swan, launched a protracted depth charge attack. Position: 41.02N, 15.39W.

There were 53 men on board with no survivors. The uboat was a type IX-B and the Edelweiss was its emblem. They sank 49 ships totalling 232,887 tons + 3 damaged ships.

By the way, I think he was promoted to K.kptn just a few days before his death. Never had much of a chance to enjoy his new rank.

Hows that for some info to go on my friend? :D

[ 31 December 2001: Message edited by: C.Evans ]</p>

6. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Thumbs up Carl !

Great stuff to add as a nice footnote to the photocopy.......

E :D happy as a clam

7. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I didn't know clams could be 'appy, but your quite welcome. [​IMG] I will try to remember to dig up the date he was awarded his Oak Leaves, if I can remember :rolleyes: to do so.

8. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Well I do know they can burp anyway... [​IMG] but seriously thank you again and I could probably find the date of his EL, but was he wearing this at the time of the photo ? Guess, I'll be smart and check the pic with a magnifying glass....

E

9. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Me, my eyes are so bad I couldnt see his O.L without a microscope, let alone a magnifier.