Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Certainly the Art of War!

Discussion in 'Art of War' started by gtblackwell, Nov 6, 2018.

1. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

Full credit to go to Gordon Wilkie for his FB page on WW1 & WW2 Memories, a Russian photographer of considerable skill just posted a truly amazing collection of his work on German WW1 &2 Memorials. It cost me a couple of hours or more of work as I had to go over every photo and the descriptions. The range of styles and types of memorials is fascinating to me. I have a background in art history and it was most interesting to see how art in general affected the work shown. Political influences are equally of interest. I was particularly interested in the combination of classical Roman and Greek sculptural influence in war memorials in the inter-war years.

Certainly one of the best exhibits of war memorials I have seen. I am saving this to a folder, Gordon, to continue my studies of it.

Gaines

The Woe of the Vanquished

GRW and CAC like this.
  2. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Wow...some are very Romanesque...other styles are new to me...some stunning sculptures.

gtblackwell likes this.
  3. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Just glad you enjoyed it as much as I did, Gaines.:cool:

gtblackwell likes this.
  4. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

CAC, some of the memorials certainly have that Romanesque grotesque quality, sort of clunky awkwardness that often shows mass and power. diametrically opposite to the Greco-Roman influences. Many years ago I came across a French Romanesque church in which the nave columns of huge proportions appeared to be sitting on the bodies of unfortunate "sinners" their arms and feet sticking out!

Gordon, thank you for bringing this work to light, to say I enjoyed it is an understatement!

Gaines

CAC likes this.