Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Challenge photos - Northern Italy 1944-45

Discussion in 'Italy, Sicily & Greece' started by Cjkiwi, Sep 2, 2016.

1. Cjkiwi

Cjkiwi New Member

My father served in the NZ 6th Field Regiment during the Italian campaign of 1943-45. After the German surrender in May 1945, many NZ troops in Trieste were given leave to travel in Italy before being returned home. I have posted four photos from that period I am interested in identifying, with assistance from Italian members of this forum. I know my father travelled through the Dolomites, and visited Lake Como. But as to precisely where these photos were taken I don't know. Location 1: a dam in the Dolomites near what town? Location 2: a small town at the foot of what appears to be an isolated mountain that should be recognisable today. Further, the large trees are shaped in a way I am unfamiliar with as someone who now has a background in Horticulture. They should be distinctive of a particular area. Location 3: Which Italian Lake - d'Iseo, Como, Lugano, di Garda, or some other in the Central Northern area? It could even be Trasimene, where NZ troops were staged before being returned home, but that's not Northern Italy. Location 4: An orchard area before a small hill with distinctive shape. The bridge will no doubt have been replaced with something different now. I appreciate comments from forum members who might assist me to identify these places so that I can visit at some point in the future.

View attachment 24881 View attachment 24882 View attachment 24883 View attachment 24884

Attached Files:

Slipdigit likes this.
  2. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

3. Takao

Takao Ace

The 2nd one reminds me of Mount Vesuvius & Mount Somma
    [​IMG]

4. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I think the third one is Vesuvius as well, but from a different angle. I can't find a picture that matches it, so I'm not sure.
    Try this?

Attached Files:

5. Cjkiwi

Cjkiwi New Member

6. Cjkiwi

Cjkiwi New Member

I know my father re-visited Cassino at the end of the war, and also Pompeii. So this fits. None of the photos in his album are in chronological order, so I had assumed, incorrectly, this might be a north Italian location. Thanks for the feedback and pointing me to the right part of the country.

7. Cjkiwi

Cjkiwi New Member

As with the Takao post above, you both have identified a location that makes sense, even if I tried to inadvertently miss-lead you by thinking it was in Northern Italy. Appreciate your comments.

8. rpk4

rpk4 New Member

CJ,

Do you have photos from Cassino?

JB

9. minden1759

minden1759 Member

I would say that the third one was one of the Italian lakes.

Frank