Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Champigneul Temporary Cemetery

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by cbksv1209, Jun 25, 2017.

1. cbksv1209

cbksv1209 New Member

I'm from Belgium, and am already several years looking for a family member (Albert Vandewalle born in Gits, Belgium on 19.02.1917) who went missing during the second world war. He died probably during the repatriation by American troops to Belgium via France in the French village Champigneul (Marne) because I found sources that spoke that he was buried on the American cemetery over there (PLOT D - ROW 4 - GRAVE 97).

The cemetery in Champigneul no longer exists. I am so looking for what has been happening with grave D/4/97 that in Champigneul was located. can help you with tips who or what I best contact?

2. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Not all casualties were buried in the village they fell. Even temporary cemeteries were groupings of fallen soldiers from many places. It was actually common to burry fallen soldiers behind the lines in France. This was to spare the morale of the living and also because a retreat could take place from areas that were too close from the front.

3. Neptune

Neptune New Member

If you think your family member was buried on the US temporay cemetery of Champigneul, you may search in Epinal.
    The cemetery was closed in 1948 and the the majority of the remains were transferred to Epinal in the Grand Failly.
    There was also a german temporary cemetery whiwh was closed and transferred to Noyers-Pont-Maugis in Ardennes.
    I hope it will help you ton find him.