Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Change one single event of the War...

Discussion in 'What If - Other' started by Otto, Oct 4, 2002.

1. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

2. BEARPAW

BEARPAW Member

I wanted to change a single event... as implied by the what if... which was a third wave on Pearl Harbor.

To have the carriers at Pearl during the attack would have been more then one event.

I'll try another what if...

3. BEARPAW

BEARPAW Member

The US builds the British 17 pdr anti-tank gun under license and starts installing them in Sherman tanks in time for Operation Husky (The invasion of Sicily).

The losses in US combat tanks would have been reduced. Germany would have responded with an up armoured and up armed version of Panther tank. Perhaps 100 mm of frontal armour with an 88 mm L170 negating the improvements made in the Sherman.

The changes in the Sherman and the corresponding changes in the Panther do not change the out come of the war.

4. Jaeger

Jaeger Ace

unconditional surrender mean anyting to you?

5. urqh

Not being pedantic but not really...look heres how its done.

One thing to change..

November 1941. All pacific fleet carriers ordered to Pearl Harbour for exercises. Exercise to last approx 4 weeks.

Set sail, full steam ahead, iron my whites I'm out on the town tonight.

6. urqh

OK, theres merit to it, but you mention Husky, does this then influence the battle to any extent in Sicily whereby the Axis are stopped from evacuating to Italy in any way?

In which case they could introduce the 17 pdr lookalike at any time really.

7. Tomcat

Tomcat The One From Down Under

Not necessarily a bad idea with the 17 pdr, however the panther was in response to the T-34 and was made up based on the T-34 advantages such as the sloped armour since the medium tanks of the time had a hell of a time piercing them.

So since the Sherman is not as easily defended like the T-34, the need for a larger gun like the 88 was not needed in revised panther. The Pz IV was perfectly capable of taking out both the Sherman and the Firefly versions, just that the Firefly had a better chance of piercing the armour of the Pz IV compared to the standard Sherman.

So I think it would probably be more likely an upgraded Pz IV, with more armour such as the side skirts and those kinda of things.

8. Jaeger

Jaeger Ace

I think you will find that the Panthers 75mm gun had better AP capabilities than the usual 88mm. And an L170??? A gun tube that is 14,96 meters long (49 feet) doesn't sound like a good idea.

9. Thompson Tony

Thompson Tony Member

i would pick the assasination atempt on Hitler by the British, they decided Hitler would bring the ultimate downfall of Germany, and at what cost did they decide this? thousands of lives thats what

10. Thompson Tony

Thompson Tony Member

Oh wait, how about during WWI when Hitler was almost killed by a sniper, but his best friend accidently ran in front of him. WWII could have been completely avoided.

11. Drew5233

Drew5233 Member

May I ask where does the 30th November 1939 come from :rolleyes:

That's D89 in my book :D

12. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

With or without parachutes?

13. Heidi

Heidi Dishonorably Discharged

I would change something to do with starlin during the war! he was really not trustworhty very undicable.
    starlin was a threat to the allies aswell during ww2 and after ww2,so i am thinking changing starlins death.Having starlin being killed with hitler and evea!. it would have save the cold war problem and ww2 proble aswell,kill a two birds with one stone kind of thing.

14. paratrooper506

paratrooper506 Member

if that bomb had killed hitler the war would have come to an end sooner but no that prickish ******* survived