Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Charles R. " Duke" Bushong : Marine Corps

Discussion in 'Roll of Honor & Memories - All Other Conflicts' started by Biak, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Biak

Biak Adjutant Patron  

[​IMG]
    Charles R. "Duke" Bushong, 57, of 9700 W. Lake Lancelot Dr. Mapleton, IL passed away Sunday, September 19, 2010 at 11:23 am at Methodist Medical Center, Peoria, IL. He was born in Peoria, IL on October 7, 1952, the son of Paul and Leota (Baker) Bushong. He married Gina Watrous on July 11, 2003 in Morton. She survives. Also surviving is one daughter, Heather (Ray Huffman Jr.) Bushong-Hasty of Bartonville; two step-children, Jaclyn Ashford of Elgin and Chad Rasmussen of Barrington; four grandchildren; and one sister, Donna (Bernard) Lee of Mountain View, MO. Preceding him in death were his parents, one brother, and one sister. Duke worked for Caterpillar as a Heat Treat Technician and a Metallurgist for 35 plus years. He was a member of the First United Methodist Church of Peoria, the UAW Local 974, the Pekin Boat Club, and the Detweiller Marina. He loved his family, his dog, boating, and his John Deere mower. He was active in the Limestone Girls Softball Association and the Bartonville softball leagues and basketball games. He was a US Marine Corp Vietnam veteran serving from 1971 to 1973 receiving a National Defense Service Medal and Rifle Sharpshooter Badge. Visitation will be Thursday, Sept. 23, 2010 from 4 to 7 pm at Endsley-Sedgwick Funeral Home, Bartonville. Services will be Friday, Sept. 24th at 10:00 am at the First United Methodist Church in Peoria with Dr. Robert Phillips officiating. Burial, with military rites, will be in Lutheran Cemetery, Peoria. Memorials may be made to a scholarship fund for his grandchildren c/o CEFCU. He fought a battle with cancer and worked up until the last 4 weeks of his life. We want to thank everyone who helped us in time of need. To view Dukes memorial DVD or submit online condolences, you may go to Sedgwick Funeral Homes

I've been remiss in getting this placed here.
    Duke worked with a cousin of mine and we became good friends. Try as I might I never could beat him on the golf course. Close a few times but that was about it - close. We made quite the group walking down the fairways, Duke - six foot four inches, 230 pounds; the cousin-5'10, around 250 and the runt, 5'7, 150.
    A nicer guy never walked this Earth.
    Rest in Peace Dukester

693FA likes this.
  2. 693FA

693FA Member

Rest in Peace Duke! Semper Fi!

3. luketdrifter

luketdrifter Ace

Rest in Peace, Duke.

4. Biak

Biak Adjutant Patron  

RIP Buddy