Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Chinese aircraft carrier

Discussion in 'Military History' started by Poppy, Jan 1, 2011.

1. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Would not surprize me if it wasn't a discarded design 'leaked' so as to put a scare into the other players on the pacific rim.

2. scipio

scipio Member

Am I mistaken - I thought the Chinese already had a carrier which they bought from the Ukraine?

My friends in india think it is an attempt to dominate the Indian Ocean. The Chinese are to rebuild Stilwell's old Burma Road and Myanmar is swiftly becoming a defacto Chinese state.

3. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Their 'new' carrier is the 'old' one they bought from the Ukraine.

4. syscom3

syscom3 Member

No, the PRC navy is not interested in patrolling the Indian Ocean. They have their hands full with their maritime territorial claims off their own shores.

Lets face it; this carrier is not a super carrier like we understand it. It has limited offensive and defensive capabilities. It can only accomplish its mission while within range of land based AC. And its terribly vulnerable from undersea attack.

5. Chi-Ri

Chi-Ri Member

The protection of a carrier from underwater threat is a task of the ships of her task group. I don't know how are the Chinese going to use their carrier(s), but it would be logically for them to create a sort of American carrier groups combining missile destroyers and, probably, nuclear subs.

Regards,

6. syscom3

syscom3 Member

If US carriers are somewhat vulnerable to attack from modern subs, its fair to say the the PRC navy would be even more vulnerable to attack from the USN subs.

7. Chi-Ri

Chi-Ri Member

I agree with you, but the attack of USN sub against the Chinese carrier will mean the start of World War 3, and, at least in the near future, it is something quite unreal. So, currently most probable adversaries of the Chinese Navy and its carrier(s) will be India and Japan. They also have quite a sophisticated subs, but their submarine force is still no match to the US.

Regards,

8. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

9. mikebatzel

mikebatzel Dreadnaught

The Hotel was made out of the soviet carrier (ex-)Kiev. The one bought from Ukraine (ex-Varyag) is still going to be a carrier and was photgraphed by satellite in the Yellow Sea while on sea trials last month.

10. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

My mistake, thanks for correcting it, still making a hotel out of a carrier is kind of weird, isn't it?

11. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

Attached Files:

12. mikebatzel

mikebatzel Dreadnaught

I agree it is a bit wierd. I've seen that the USS New Jersey offers overnight programs, but they are usually geared towards kids, and certainly not to the extent that the chinese went.

here's a pic of the presidential suite:
    [​IMG]

I think there is another carrier also in China somewhere, but is owned by a corperation and not the government (though it is probably a government owned corperation)

13. Takao

Takao Ace

Why? The Chinese are infatuated with aircraft carriers! Along with the "hotel Kiev", they have turned the retired Soviet carrier Minsk into an amusement park(formerly "Minsk World", now called "CITIC Minsk World") Minsk World - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and they have built TWO concrete aircraft carriers one near Shanghai Replica 'Aircraft carrier' spotted on Chinese mainland | CNNGo.com (a park) with the other one in Wuhan Concrete evidence of China's naval ambitions - Telegraph (a suspected training and research site).

Poppy likes this.
  14. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Really little differnt from the Soviet navy in the '70's, the desire to emulate the percieved gold standard in naval power. The desire to play with the 'big boys' with a carrier fleet of their own, whether or not it makes strategic sense or not considering their strategic goals. It did not for the Soviet Union, but does up to a point for China. Still it will take decades to both deploy enough hulls with the trained crew and tactical doctrine to be a credible force. The thing is will heavy fleet carriers even be relevant by this time?

15. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

16. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

The Minsk park really was a surprise. Great links. Good one.

17. urqh

18. urqh

Even more oops....So when we plan for any future conflicts...maybe we especially we in the UK...should open our eyes a little more...Afghanistan is a blip on the whiteboard in Ministry of Defence...I do hope some are still watching what we always watched.

Russia sends ships for China war games

19. rkline56

rkline56 USS Oklahoma City CG5

[TABLE="width: 980"]
    [TR]
    [TD="width: 5"].[/TD]
    [TD="width: 200, bgcolor: #FFFFFF"] [​IMG]
    Clinton says no 'new Cold War' in Asia[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

Doesn't this mean that is exactly what we have here?

Spratly Islands here we come. Balikatan, Palawan etc. I wonder how many US warships are at Subic Bay these days? Do any of you old salts remember S@$t river bridge, Ha?

In other developments: "US Wants a Side, Personal Summit with Putin at the upcoming G-8 at Camp David."

http://www.spacewar.com/reports/2011_world_military_spending_levels_out_think_tank_999.html