Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Cholm shield

Discussion in 'Medals, Insignia, Badges & Recalls' started by Kai-Petri, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

ANy idea if this was the Cholm shield "diploma" given with the shield?

Being sold in the local auction net.

2. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Kai, nope, this is not an Award Document for the Cholm Shield. Award Documents sometimes has a facsimilie of the award being awarded -- at the very top of the doc. Then it will say something like and in German of course: "In the name of the German Hign Command" that on (whatever date) & (whatever individual) in (whichever unit) is awarded (whichever award) then is usually signed by an officer at least of Captains rank ranging up to GFM, Himmler, Goring and Hitler. Then on the lower left side, would be a German Military stamp of somekind.

I don't know what this thing is that you have a picture of but it seems like it is from a book of somekind that has a photo with explanation od said award.

3. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

An addition:

The only Award Document I have is one that is a Preliminary Award Document. Mine is an Imperial German Award Doc belonging to a Navy NCO serving with the 3rd Marine Inf Rgmt (on the Western Front in WWI) who was awarded the Iron Cross. These preliominary award docs normally will not have a fascimilie of the awards at the top and is a more bland-looking doc. This doc will still contain all the info as the more commonly seen award doc.

One of these years I will manage to get some of these things photographed and posted here.

4. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Thanx for the info, Carl!

5. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Quite welcome my friend. :snoopy: