Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Christmas Models

Discussion in 'Modelling' started by Timothy, Dec 25, 2003.

1. Timothy

Timothy Member

Anybody get any models for Christmas?

I recieved a 1/48 P-61 Black Widow
    Also a 1/48 F-18C

2. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

The P-61 sounds nice.....I got the Dragon 1/35 Moerser Karl and now need a house to put it in. :(

Also - lazy 'modelling', I know - got the Corgi Aviation die-cast 1/72 'Pathfinders' limited edition set. A 635 Squadron Lancaster BVI and a lovely 'Oboe' Mosquito BIX as flown from Little Staughton by 109 Squadron. Just had to have it ! ;)

3. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Martin, will we see a finished product this year on the forums ? your Oboe Mossie es[ecially......

and Timothy what P-61 markings will you use ?

~E

4. Timothy

Timothy Member

I'm not sure what markings I'm going to use. I haven't decided whether I'm going to make an "A" or a "B" variant.

By the way I also got a 1/48 A-10 Warthog. Not that is is WWII.

5. TA152

TA152 Ace

At Wal-Mart, I saw some 1/18th scale models of the P-47, P-51, and Me-109. They were very well done by the Chinese who made them and I bought myself a Me-109 that was in the markings of Eric Hartman. I had to add a swatztica and added some other details but it has moving flaps, moving prop, retractable landing gear, a canopy that opens, and a pilot that has moving legs, arms, and head . Not bad for $39 :D

6. Martin Bull

7. TA152

TA152 Ace

I was looking at the pictures of the Lanc and Mosquito and I was wondering what the light blue patchs over the front nose windows of the Mosquito were for ? I don't recall seeing pictures of this on a "real" Mosquito.

The bomb bay shot of the Lancaster is impressive ! Makes you wonder how they ever got off the ground with all that weight.

8. Martin Bull

Ah ha ! Well-spotted, Ta - that's Corgi admitting defeat with the limitations of die-casting ( the model is also the basis of their FBVI ) and 'mocking up' the auxiliary windows....

Just goes to show that if you want the absolute BEST detail, you can't beat making it yourself from a good plastic kit ! More seriously, the 'Oboe' mossies had the plexiglass nose painted over, both to avoid reflecting from searchlights and to prevent prying eyes on the ground from seeing the top secret Oboe gear.

I really do think that Corgi have slipped up there....Pity, because the paint job is beautiful and the model has that great die-cast 'feel'.

Yes, the 'Lanc' bomb-bay never ceases to amaze. You can almost stand beneath the open bay of 'S-Sugar' at Hendon and wonder.An amzing piece of design ; but the features which gave it such inbuilt strength are largely what made the aircraft so difficult to escape from.

BTW I bought a book recently that featured a comparison drawing of Lancaster and Stirling sizes. The Stirling is MASSIVE - nearly a quarter as long again as the Lanc' !

( Oh - and before someone blasts me for putting rubbish on the internet ; the Mosquito flew from WYTON with 109, not Little Staughton.... )

[ 26. December 2003, 05:48 AM: Message edited by: Martin Bull ]

9. Timothy

Timothy Member

I didn't get these for Christmas but I bought them after. At a local Marcs store they had a 1/48 Me 163B, 1/72 Do 335, 1/48 Fw 190, and a 1/48 Mistil 5. This is very weird because they never have models but when they do it is just modern stuff. By the way I only paid $2.96 for each!!! :eek:

10. Mahross

Mahross Ace

Didn't get any. Martin like the sound of your Morser. Started it yet?

11. Martin Bull

Give me a chance - I'm still working on 'Poteau man' ! :rolleyes:

I know the Dragon Karl has been controversial in all the magazines, but the kit looks great. I think it'll be a summer project at this rate !

12. Mahross

Mahross Ace

Martin - you work almost as slowly as i do. the secret is too have lots of projects on the go at one time. at least you will finish something eventually!!