Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Clinton Charles (Clint) Wigen 1949-2013

Discussion in 'WWII Forums News' started by Slipdigit, Jul 23, 2013.

1. 36thID

36thID Member

Dropped in to pay my repects to Clint.

When one leaves this earth with as much admiration that he has, then you know you had a wonderful life.

Happy Trails To All

2. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Think these words may have been the most dear to me:
    • Moderators[​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    • 9,709 posts

Sent 02 June 2011 - 05:16 PM
    I love the Prince of Wales at Waterton, no matter the price it is soooo cool. I took my ex-wife to that place for a belated "honeymoon" when I was discharged from the USN in 1972.

It was pricey then as well, but my family had stayed there and in less expensive motels all around the lake for years. We were regular visitors to both Glacier and Waterton in the the fifties and sixties.

Loved the places, no matter the "inconvenience" of the older hotels, they are super.

Best to ya,
    Clint.
    Happy Trails,
    Clint.

KodiakBeer likes this.
  3. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Recently went and checked out the Prince Of Wales from top to bottom. There are some really sweet suites. They have renovated. Large and small luxury suites...And the view... Would recommend what Clint said. Old [the good Hollywood] Hollywood used to party in there, and their spirit [prohibition] of good times pervades.

4. O.M.A.

O.M.A. Active Member

I never knew this man, but he definitely made a good impression on a lot of people. It's nice I can read his posts and get a feel for what he was like.

Otto and A-58 like this.
  5. jemimas_special2

jemimas_special2 Shepherd

I'm thankful in so many ways for this man and the time he poured in to my life. He really helped me see the value in helping others grow, not just on an historical level of knowing, but in all things. There are a handful of attributes that I will forever strive for in the way I relate to others because of Clint: he taught me that presence is never wrong, to be an active listener, and that it's about caring for people....having their best in mind. LRusso216, thank you for helping me find this thread. I will miss Clint dearly.

Jem

Poppy and Otto like this.
  6. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I can't believe that I let the day slip by, 22 June.

7. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

I miss him and his input. However, on the plus side he died like a man, on his feet, no whining, crying and gnashing of teeth, staring death in the eyes and fighting till the end, just like cowboys are supposed to. After we're gone we're judged by how we lived and how we died, Clint did both extremely well, with courage and class. Just my opinion.

8. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

You're right, Price. I miss his input, too. I miss his wit and humor. At least he died knowing this community cherished him.

9. macrusk

macrusk Proud Daughter of a Canadian WWII Veteran

I just read the other thread regarding Clint stepping down as a moderator and posted asking about him. As others have said we were in touch through private messages while I was active on the Forum and he was so supportive and caring as I fought the health challenges that kept me away. He enccouraged me as I dealt with health and particularly through 2 cancer scares. As happens in life, I became inconsistent in my coming to the forum and missed all the posts and updates about his condition. He was one of the most honourable and caring people I ever met, even if only n this virtual manner. I am truly devastated today after learning of is passing, that in cleaning my inbox I deleted some of those precious email that I had carefully retained until yesterday. I sit typing through tearful eyess as I grieve for a friend and co-Rogue who while gone for nearly 2 years, is to me newly gone. Amazing how I counted on finding him here, to read his knowledgeable and well-thought posts from while I was away and expected to renew our friendship. I will miss him and am thankful for thee posts I will inevitably come across that will bring him back if only for a brief moment.

He told me he closed his messages with Happy Trails because of why Dale Evans wrote it..." Dale wrote the song "Happy Trails" one afternoon shortly after the birth of her and Roy's daughter, Robin, in August of 1950. Dale was at home with Robin when she began thinking about the song she and Roy were currently closing the "Roy Rogers Show" with on the radio. The song was "Smiles Are Made Out Of Sunshine" and while it was popular, Dale felt that the song wasn't Western enough. She also wanted a song more attuned to the fact that a cowboy had to ride the trails no matter what the weather, especially if the trails weren't sunny ones."

Clint's last trails were apparently very difficult from what others have written, yet it sounds that he retained his positive spirit. He deserved Happy Trails....

Happy trails to you, until we meet again.
    Happy trails to you, keep smilin' until then.
    Who cares about the clouds when we're together?
    Just sing a song and bring the sunny weather.
    Happy trails to you, 'till we meet again.

Some trails are happy ones,
    Others are blue.
    It's the way you ride the trail that counts,
    Here's a happy one for you.

Happy trails to you, until we meet again.
    Happy trails to you, keep smilin' until then.
    Who cares about the clouds when we're together?
    Just sing a song and bring the sunny weather.

Happy trails to you, 'till we meet again.

Otto likes this.
  10. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

11. macrusk

macrusk Proud Daughter of a Canadian WWII Veteran

Thanks, Tom.

12. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

He struggled mightily until the end, Michelle, as some of the others who talked with him by other means can attest. He would never talk on the phone to me, saying his voice was so bad that I would not be able to understand him, so we chatted frequently via PM until he got too sick to even do that. We did not see eye to eye on LOT of things (e.g. faith, politics), but we always discussed any subject amicably and that, I enjoyed.
    As you may have read, his death caught us by surprise, even though we knew the darkness for him was drawing near. Some of us had been watching for word of his demise and he seemed, be his own estimation, to still have a few more posts to make when I last talked to him. Undoubtably, he died a few days later but we did not discover it until after a few weeks had passed.

13. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I still find myself thinking of him, though we never met. He sent me books and CDs he thought would interest me. It's a great loss, not only to this forum, but to the whole idea of gentlemanly conversation. Tommy, thanks again for the website mention. Happy trails to all.

14. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

Funny how someone you never met sits there in the back of your head. We stayed in Billings a couple of weeks ago and like Lou, I remembered Clint and thought of some of his stories as we drove through the Big Sky Country heading home. Easy to see why he loved that area so much.

15. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Remarkable that even now, he had such an impact over the ephemeral internet. Stout man he was.

16. bigfun

bigfun Ace

So sorry to hear this. I remember him and that awesome Chevelle as his avatar ..... RIP friend.

17. USS Washington

USS Washington Active Member

Sadly I never got to meet Clint, since he passed away almost a year before I joined this site, but from reading his posts, he seemed like a good man with great knowledge and a sense of humor, my condelences to his family for their loss, and to everyone here on the loss a respected member and a good friend. :poppy:

Otto likes this.