Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

close combat 3

Discussion in 'The Members Lounge' started by Stewie Griffin phpbb3, Apr 26, 2004.

1. Stewie Griffin phpbb3

Stewie Griffin phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Warning: once you start playing this game you will have no life!

2. Laar Dzdik

Laar Dzdik New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Does anyone know where to find a place in which one could find opponents for playing CC-series games online? If you do and would be intersted in meeting me at the battlefield, send me a PM...

3. Skua

Skua New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I just bought Close Combat 2, and it´s just the greatest PC game I´ve ever had. I guess I´ll have to go and buy Close Combat 3 as well now. Does anybody know if further additions to this series are planned ?

4. SgtBob

SgtBob New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Close Combat 3 was almost perfect, it just needed air power (though not as important on the Eastern Front). Microsoft (of all people) helped create 1,2, and 3, and just when they got it right..... they sold it to Atomic Games. Close Combat 4- Battle of the Bulge was a small step down but still fun, and they finally added air power. Close Combat 5 -D-Day (or Normandy, I forget) was a complete bust unless you're playing two player. The AI was terrible, worse than Hitler on a bad day.

Since completely screwing up CC5 Atomic Games has tried modifying it even more and flushed the original concept. I forget the name of the follow-on to CC5 but I downloaded the demo and the whole thing was terrible. It was so bad I saw it on sale for $5 and didn't buy it. Now they are re-doing it yet again (with the Close Combat name) in more of a Call of Duty-type mode, but if Atomic Games still owns it, I doubt it will be worth buying. There are some cool mods on the internet for CC2-CC5. I've downloaded a bunch of them but only successfully installed one (for CC5-Invasion Normandy) since it came with its own instructions.

5. Mutant Poodle

Mutant Poodle New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Not that I am aware of. Not at the level that CC3 had. Even CC4 CC5 were severely lacking in the detail, I really hate chess style war gaming unless you can look your opponent in the eye.

There is a Western Front MOD for the Normandy, nOrth African campaigns. American, Brits and Canadian weapons, uniforms and equipment. There are sound MODS and Aircraft possibilities to go along with it.
    Better sound and visual explosions as well.

It is a fan developed MOD program with a selection of modifications to maps, sounds, special effects etc., that you can chooose to install.

In google type in CC3 Westernfront MODS. It should get you there.

6. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    All I have is Close Combat 5, and ever since I first played it I've been trying to get my hands on other versions of the game, like parts 3 and 4. But I noticed that 5 (Utah Beach) gets boring after a while and I just can't get my tanks to survive anything at all.

7. SgtBob

SgtBob New Member

via TanksinWW2
    My quick and easy strategies for all the Close Combat games are as follows:

Quickly surpress anti-tank guns with mortars/artillery.
    Move infantry fast and give them covering fire
    Move tanks slowly, keep them away from ambush opportunities
    Use smoke liberally
    Make the enemy tanks (and infantry) show themselves to your infantry (lead with infantry), then you can manouever your tanks into a killing position
    Try to keep American tanks out of close Panzerfaust range
    Ambush, ambush, ambush when defending

8. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Yes, most of that I use myself. Except that my tanks are always lost to some deviously hidden gun or AT crew that knows every line of sight and fire while I have to find out myself, and that the infantry I use to expose the enemy is lost within seconds no matter what the cover, so the enemy disappears again.

Defensive battles I can easily win, just by the means you mention. Get into buildings and hedgerows, machine guns on the top floor, and just ambush ambush ambush. It's attacking battles I can't win.

9. Skua

Skua New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Am I a jerk or what ? I bought Combat Mission 2, no Close Combat 2. This is not the same game, is it ?

:oops:

10. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    No it's not the same game, and no you're not a jerk. Don't they all sound alike?

11. SgtBob

SgtBob New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Attacking with the Americans is tricky business because all of the German anti-tank weapons are so deadly in 1944. One thing is to make sure when you do your pre-game setup you place your tanks behind buildings, trees, anything to block LOS for AT weapons. Of course this isn't easy on the beaches. The AI loves to get in a quick kill or two right from the start. Once I use my infantry to find the AT guns I immediately mortar them, it invariably kills them. Often if the enemy is a tank I'll get my tanks in a good defensive position "just around the corner" and see if he'll get impatient. They often do. I always fire and manuoever infantry, one squad sits in a building while another moves quickly, and then they reverse. I usually keep two tanks together so if one gets ambushed then the other should get him. When my second tank takes its' merry-old-time firing back and gets itself killed, the only thing left to do is throw things at the computer screen. It doesn't help me win, but I feel a little better.

12. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Of course. But the moment I move them they get shot, invariably. I just can't get them into the heat before they get killed, especially Shermans that take hours to load and aim.
    Yes, that's why I don't like using guns myself. They are always picked off by mortars, just like I do it with the enemy.
    Yes, I do just that, and when they finally hit the right spot for a good advantageous firefight, they've run out of ammo. Then I can bring up two more teams, same story...
    I will remember that! :grin:
    I usually keep playng until I have no more bazooka rounds, then just give up.

13. Mutant Poodle

Mutant Poodle New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Close Combat, Close Combat 2, Close Combat 3, Close Combat 3 Western Front MODS., Close Combat 4, Close Combat 5.

Combat Mission, The Western Fornt; Combat Mission 2, Operation Barbarossa; Combat Mission 3, North Africa.

They are completely different game lines. However are very addictive; until the Close Combat 4 and 5 were released; htne I lost interest.

Combat Mission will cause a person to lose track of all time and things that matter. Including things cooking on the stove. Fair warning!
    :lol: :wink:

14. SgtBob

SgtBob New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Hey MP, Close Combat 4 was pretty good. The strategic map was lame, but the individual battles were great!

15. Skua

Skua New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Fair Warning indeed ! I´ve allready ruined one kettle. Never brew yourself a cup of tea while playing this game. :lol:

What´s the first Combat Mission game like anyway ? Are the tanks as good looking as in the second and third version ?

16. Nashorn phpbb3

Nashorn phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Yes they are.
    The first combatmission i found ( after playing CC for quite some time ) very though.
    You have to be aware of a lot more things then in CC.
    In CC some times just storming a head with everything you've got will win you the battle. :grin: In Combat Mission that will certainly will lead to a annihilation of your "forces" and defeat :-?

17. Mutant Poodle

Mutant Poodle New Member

via TanksinWW2
    The sound effefts were better, the explosion visuals were better, the voices were soooo much improved but, the detail on the vehciles was not up to CC3 of the CC3 MODS detailing.

18. Mutant Poodle

Mutant Poodle New Member

via TanksinWW2
    The detail in the first is quite good, however, the MODS from the players, like dirty tanks or camoflage jobs are better. You can down load them to add or replce those that came with the games.

The second Combat Mission took my breath away to accurracy, model detailing and better realism to the effects of all weapons.

If you are able to purchse online I do recommend this game, all three versions. if you can burn them to your own discs thats great. But I will always purchse from the producer and have them send me their actual discs, that way you also get the paper instruction booklet.

You can play over the Internet, Personal IP and a Intranet.

19. Mutant Poodle

Mutant Poodle New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Oh, man like that is an understatement, eh?

Artillery in this game is a real effective aspect.

20. Nashorn phpbb3

Nashorn phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    yep. found that out first couple of games i played :-? . When i lost half my tank destroyer force during a artillery barrage :cry: int he first 4 minutes of the game :grin:. And then i'm not even starting about hidden AT-guns , LOS and more :grin: