Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Close Combat Games !

Discussion in 'PC and Console Simulations' started by ww24interest, Jan 1, 2016.

1. ww24interest

ww24interest Member

Originally by Microsoft and Atomic games, close combat games are one of my favorite ww2 games. Matrix games has a series called close combat. They are worth a look and are a superb top-down strategy simulation. You really have to use the terrain to your advantage. All weapons, soldiers emotions, hits and taken into account.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Close_Combat_%28series%29

2. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

Love that series. Playing invasion Normandy presently. Waiting for the new one.

3. ww24interest

ww24interest Member

If you like invasion normandy classic cc5 you will like the newer "the longest day" it is about the beach landings and breakout

4. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

haven't played them in a long time....played A Bridge Too Far and Bulge...and the original......yes that was Cobra...they were very enjoyable....they are still cranking them out, so it tells you of their popularity......Strategic Simulations also did Panzer Commander I think...
    I am still waiting for that perfect WW2 1st person shooter with vehicles, if not air power...

5. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

Panzer Commander on the PC was a top notch tank simulator. Remember playing that in high school to the wee hours of the morning. Bronk haven't heard that title in awhile. Waxing nostalgic. :)

6. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

Panzer C was my first ever PC game on my first ever PC...that's what I'm looking for ..a somewhat recent WW2 tank game..but not World of Tanks...it's pay for play and not realistic with so many different tanks in 1 battle

7. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

Unless it has changed ( I haven't played since Comcast messed up my router) in the past 8 months, it was free. However, many players purchase XP points which render your PzKpfw III useless when it shouldn't :)

8. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

I thought you get weak tanks without pay??

9. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

It's all based on XP points which you acquire as you battle. The nice part about the game is depending on what level you are, you tend to be matched up with others at similar levels accordingly. For example I started with a tier I (German and British) and a played up to a tier IV which I gradually constructed to a nice Pz. Kpfw. IV. You also get to choose your armaments, engine, armor capacity, etc. I wish I could still play, was hooked for awhile.

10. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

Anyone happen to hear any rumors regarding Close Combat, The Bloody First? Was supposed to come out in 2015.

11. Takao

Takao Ace

12. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

Thanks Takao.

Since they are going 3D, I bet it's quite a change while keeping with the games effectiveness as an RTS. I'd rather them get it right the first time around then having them throwing out a ton of mods to fix bugs.

Thanks again

13. Takao

Takao Ace

Or patching the game half-way and then abandoning it...Reason #1 why I refuse to buy any Ubisoft game. Silent Hunter IV left a very bitter taste in my mouth concerning that company. But SHIV's modding community made the game quite enjoyable after some hard work.