Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Combat Infantryman Badge

Discussion in 'Honor, Service and Valor' started by Ryan McGrantham, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Ryan McGrantham

Ryan McGrantham New Member

Does anyone know how difficult it is to obtain a posthumous Combat Infantryman's Badge?

I have a great-grandfather who received at least one, possibly two purple hearts. He was a 2nd Lieutenant in the Battle of Angaur with the 322nd Infantry Regiment.

When I looked at the list of his medals and badges, the Combat Infantryman's Badge is not listed. This seems to make no sense as he was an infantryman in an active battlezone. Is it possible that it was just missed by his CO? I have heard that at the time, any infantryman who was in an active battlezone was eligible for the award, but that the CO had to make the appropriate recommendation.

I am not sure how often a CO would have "forgotten" to make a recommendation like this, but I'm sure it certainly could have happened. In theory, if a wounding during a battle could be proven, this would have to result in awarding of the badge, correct?

Obviously I would like to have my great-grandfather recognized appropriately, but if the answer is no, he shouldn't have had it awarded to him, it is no, I am just wondering what to expect along these lines as I am new to this process.

Ryan

2. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

As a side:

[​IMG]
    Australian combat badge...

3. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I don't know the ins and outs of getting this award, but he certainly seems to qualify. You might contact the National Archives for more information. Do you have his discharge documents? They might help. If he was entitled to a CIB he also was entitled to a Bronze Star, which was awarded post-war. Others might have more and better details, so check here often. Good luck!

4. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

What I recommend you do is to gather up every piece of paperwork relating to your great grandpaw's military service, scan it and post it here for the resident experts to pour over. Contact the US Army Reserve center in St. Louis, Missouri. There they collect and store records of servicemen that served in the US Army. Get whatever copies of assorted documents that they might have. If you can determine what unit he was assigned to, google their website to see if any info can be gotten there. Make copies of everything and stash them in a good place like a safe or safety deposit box. Then once you have a handle of what you have to work with, go to your local US Senator's office and submit them to be reviewed officially. Something will happen. And keep us informed or your progress please.

formerjughead and Slipdigit like this.
  5. Takao

Takao Ace

I believe that we have had the occasional success...It's been almost four years since this thread.
    http://www.ww2f.com/threads/retroactive-cib.53613/
    Provided you have or can get a hold of the proper documentation, it should not be hard, although possibly time consuming.

6. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

Depending on when he was in combat the award may not have existed as it was adopted in October 1943 and probably wasn't standard issue until 1944. By standard issue I mean: Commanders weren't in the habit, and most likely, procedure for award and recommendation hadn't been standardized yet. It very well could be as simple as submitting an SF-180. As a side note there was also an order awarding the Bronze Star Medal to everyman who had received a Combat Infantry Badge, so, you might get that too. You just need to substantiate his dates of service

Looks like the Battle of Anguar was from 17 Sept. - 22 October 1944; so, it should have been awarded.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018