Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Conscription and time to get things done

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by rogerthedodger, Apr 25, 2018.

1. rogerthedodger

rogerthedodger New Member

Hi, I've just joined and it's my first post. It's regarding how conscription was carried out. I was led to believe that my father (25 years old at the time and married) who was a butcher with his own shop was conscripted because he hadn't been in business for more then 18 months. Is this true? Also his trade on enlistment is given as a scrap metal sorter. Presumably on having his call up papers he would have had to wind up his business and perhaps find a job to tide him over until him joining up which was in June 1940. Was there enough time given between your call up and actually getting in uniform?

2. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Interesting questions. When was he conscripted? Did he enlist? I'm trying to get a sense of what he did. My understanding (and I've been wrong before) is that there was little lag time between call-up and reporting. I don't know anything about having to be in business more than 18 months. Do you have records of his service? if so, they might help answering your questions.

3. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

4. Carronade

Carronade Ace

My father turned 18 in February 1945, during his senior year in high school. He was allowed to graduate before reporting. By the time he was ready to go overseas, the war was over, at least in Europe, but he spent two years on garrison duty in Italy.

5. rogerthedodger

He enlisted 13th June 1940, must admit I don't know if he volunteered, but personally think that he didn't. He'd got a young wife and they both worked in their own butchers shop so had a lot to lose. Also would he have done his training before joining his appointed regiment (Seaforth Highlanders)
    Thanks

6. JJWilson

JJWilson Well-Known Member

First off, welcome to the Forum Roger! It's impossible to know how he felt when he had to leave his wife and life at home, I can't imagine. You mentioned the Seaforth Highlanders, do you know what Battalion he was in? From what I saw in Wikipedia, every Battalion saw oversea duty, and almost all saw combat. Did Your Father survive the war I'm assuming?

7. LRusso216

Oh. He was British. I was thinking of US conscription. I was re-reading my father's morning reports and saw little lag between conscription and call up. To be honest, I'm not familiar with British conscription. There are several British members about, but you might also post your queries at ww2talk, our sister forum. They have a more British orientation. Good luck in your quest.

8. rogerthedodger

Thanks for your replies, just realised that I'm in the wrong zone. But just to answer you, my father was in the Seaforths based in fort George but I don't know which regiment.
    He was then transferred in Sept 41 to GHQ Liason Regiment, went through France July 44, Belgium and Germany survived and was demobbed in May 46. Just to add that he had the more safe job as a cook. His claim to fame that he once fed Field Marshall Montgomery.
    I'll try ww2talk Graybeard. Thanks again.

JJWilson likes this.
  9. LRusso216

10. Ron Goldstein

Ron Goldstein WWII Veteran

11. LRusso216

Thanks Ron. We can always count on you for pertinent information, especially that drawn from your own experience.