Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Contra Spit - Weird !

Discussion in 'The Spitfire' started by Dave War44, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Dave War44

Dave War44 Member

via War44
    Apologies to the guy but I had to take a screenshot of his website and share this. The text is his aswell.:red:

[​IMG]

A mark XIX Spitfire fitted with a late model Griffon engine from a Shackleton maritime patrol aircraft, complete with the Shackleton's contra-rotating propellers.....The aircraft was put together some years ago as part of an attempt at a time-to-altitude record.

source: Chino 2004 Highlights

Other awesome photos are there, including a P38 Lightning.

2. Spitfire XIV-E

Spitfire XIV-E New Member

via War44
    Ah that would be the Griffon 85 fitted models. From Mk XXI upwards there were a few fitted with Griffon 85 2 stage engines with Contra - Props. Although I was not aware of any Mk XIX's with this engine. May have been a one off conversion. This includes the later Sea-Fang & Spiteful which were virtually new Aircraft compared to the older Marks.

3. Dave War44

Dave War44 Member

via War44
    Yes solid info there Spit, apparently the bulges above the exhaust pipes indicate the griffon engine is fitted. More on this particular Spitfire:
    Here's another photo, this time the same aircraft is without the clipped wingtips, and the small camera hole can be seen:
    [​IMG]

I have also become interested in the liveries of these planes after seeing this light blue, and wondering.... It turns out this is an original livery, used for reconnaissance. A darker blue was used for very high level recon work, and desert versions were even painted pink ! Old black & white photos of Spits of course leave us with no idea of how these versions actually looked. I have found a rare Spitfire livery to find a decent photo of is that of the USAF.

Lastly a period photo from 1954, colourised, of a similar livery, I think this was taken in Singapore, of one of the last operational squadron.

[​IMG]

4. Spitfire XIV-E

Spitfire XIV-E New Member

via War44
    "The Last" is one of the PR Mk XIX's in the BBMF. It flew the last operational Spitfire Sortie in 1954 I believe.