Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Cornelius Ryan - Similar Historians

Discussion in 'WWII Books & Publications' started by Zack B, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Zack B

Zack B New Member

Hi all,

I recently read The Last Battle by Cornelius Ryan and loved it. I particularly enjoyed how it interspersed personal stories of daily life in Berlin under the looming threat of daily bombing campaigns and the advancing threat of a Russian army on the eastern front, while still providing great detail on grand war plans of the British and Russians.

I have A Bridge Too Far and The Longest Day on my bookshelf to read.

Can anyone suggest similar World War Two authors/historians who write with a similar slant towards the personal? I'd love more books like this in my (small, but growing) collection.

Thanks!

2. Buten42

Buten42 Member

Zack, Rick Atkinson also has a trilogy that I feel are excellent. The Liberation Trilogy by Rick Atkinson

The Last Battle was finished while Cornelius Ryan was dying of cancer. Both authors are my favorite but sure others will suggest their favorite--many,many good ones.

Zack B likes this.
  3. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I think Hornfischer's "Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors" is a good read. Actually, any of Hornfischer's books is a good read.

Slipdigit and Zack B like this.
  4. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

Good comparison Buten. Atkinson is very similar in style. And although Beevor has a similar style, his details are questionable at times. Hastings is a good read as well.

I'm like you Zack. I tend to lean towards historians who weave in personal stories. The human element, whether civilian or soldier, is the most compelling. You may also want to go the memoir route. Some memoirs are written like novels (MacDonald, Burgett, Siegfried Knapp, Eugene Sledge, Wolfgang Samuel) and give you great insight into the conflict.

Zack B likes this.
  5. Zack B

Zack B New Member

Excellent suggestions. Thanks so much. I actually had The Liberation Trilogy added to my Goodreads history shelf, so I'll be sure to prioritize it now. I'll definitely check out some of those memoirs as well.

Thanks everyone!