Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Corona Virus - How is that working for you?

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by wooley12, Mar 13, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

[​IMG]

CARONA ??? SERIOUSLY ! !

2. wooley12

wooley12 Active Member

Corona si! Because who want's to be serious.

3. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

yeah I'll concede it's darn near impossible to find a Pabst Blue Ribbon patio umbrella.

4. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  5. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

I like guns, especially old guns, but some modern guns also. It's an expensive hobby, but guns are one of the few things that never lose value (at least classic guns, not these plastic things that drop in value faster than a Ford Fiesta). Properly maintained they don't wear out so you can have fun shooting your investment. I'm lucky in that I'm at a point in life where I have enough land to shoot right on my property. I dig up pretty rocks to polish and shoot guns. I'm content.

6. wooley12

wooley12 Active Member

You sure live in a good place for a gun hobby. Wish I could go out and shoot right now.

7. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

not sure- but read the flu has claimed 85,000 vs china virus- 4500 (in the US).
    anyone have some real numbers ?
    those with underlying medical conditions/age considered.

8. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

9. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

China is a big place with many different groups, cultures and at least three languages...One cant just call them "Chinese" and tar them all with the same brush. (Don't get me wrong some of their habits I find intolerable) Twiggy Forrest is using his business connections to gain supply to Australia...for Australia, this isn't about rewarding the Chinese.
    Some wet markets have already been closed down and probably more to come...I hope they use this as a way of curbing and then banning these things. I wont hold my breath though. We have done business with the Chinese for a long time, (when China sneezes, Australia gets a cold) we rely on them for our high standard of living, its as simple as that. But like all investments, you have to diversify your port folio and not have all your eggs in the one basket...This is something we will look into going forward.

10. Riter

Riter Well-Known Member

4Chan first pointed out that anywhere from 7-14 million cell phone subscriptions dropped (since then it's 21 million). What is the significance? Cell phones are necessary in China. Investor Jim Rogers tried to buy an ice cream cone in China and offered cash. The lady couldn't accept it and explained he had to pay by phone. His phone wasn't set up with. the Chinese banking system and he offered cash again. After a while, the ice cream girl felt sorry for him and gave him the ice cream. The point? You need a phone to buy food, a train ticket, anything. No phone means you're cut off. You can't drop your phone subscription and not have a phone in China.

Another suspicion is the 40 incinerators brought into Wuhan when the private crematories were overloaded/overworked. Each of these forty have a capacity to incinerate 5 tons of bodies a day. Do the math. If each deceased was 150 lbs, that's 66 bodies a day (5 tons or 10,000 lbs = 10,000/150lbs = 66 bodies per incinerator) at 40 incinerators equals 2,666 bodies a day. I find it hardly credible that the Chinese have lost less than 4k from the virus.

Take your Vitamin C.

11. wooley12

wooley12 Active Member

Incinerators. My dad went into Buchenwald on 4/13/45. Yes, GI's did tell the inmates to stack the bodies. Pictures were taken. Conspiracy born.

4Chan, OAN, Q and Kool-Ade are best served in The Stump. Please start a thread. I'd play.

Seems to me that the CDC and WHO are saying this might be the best way to avoid air borne droplets and keep- you from touching your face. :)

ezgif.com-webp-to-jpg.jpg

12. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Read the News it was just two two days aho in Florida, possible Texas, that people were informed. Until then no problems. Is this true. A week ago in press conference Trump said problem is soon over. This epidemic lasts 3-6 months and the US is just starting. Sorry guys.

13. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

No. They are doing a briefing every day with Pence and the medical team, sometimes Trump. Nothing like that has been said. The only problem they've promised an early solution to is the general lack of ventilators and personal protective gear. They are using a war powers act to pay private companies to manufacture medical equipment that until now has been sourced from China and other countries. The only real solution is a vaccine and I suppose every developed nation is working on that. It's a slow process.

14. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

I hope the vaccine works. Otherwise it will take ages to start again.

15. wooley12

wooley12 Active Member

16. Takao

Takao Ace

It is not that the people were not informed...It was that the Governor of Florida was refusing to take many of the precautionary preventive measures that other states have enacted - despite having 25% or more of its population being at-risk elderly & the state having quite a large tourism industry.

Kai-Petri likes this.
  17. Half Track

Half Track Well-Known Member

According to what I have read, the peak of the disease should be reached here in Pa. on April 17th. The deaths increasing steadily up to that date, and hospital admissions. The worst in the state is the south east and the north east part. I live in the south central. The county just to our west has yet to have a case of the virus. But only 14,000 residents reside there. That is with all stay at home orders being observed. There are exceptions of course, life sustaining business being allowed. And jogging and walking, dog walking, working in the yard cutting grass is ok. People will have long hair. I suppose I am lucky, my wife is a hair dresser and has been cutting my hair since 1972. All barber shops and hair salons must stay closed for now. So, after the 17th the curve is supposed to decline and begin to flatten. But personally, I don’t think things are back to normal and then some business on a limited basis as far as seating etc., until towards the end of June. July should see steady improvement. At this writing we have 26 cases of Covid-19 here in our county of 155,000 residents. That will increase. Increasing at approximately 2 a day. No deaths, yet. Let us hope and pray it doesn’t return in this way in the Fall.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
  18. Jack B

Jack B Active Member

I don't get the impression that the public health services are doing enough, at this point, to really get this thing corralled. People are still spreading the bug around the country.

It's not clear to me that this will really be over until we've had 60-80% of the population vaccinated or infected (and recovered). To really eradicate it, we need to be aggressively identifying cases (not being done right now), tracing contacts (is that being done?), and limiting further exposure & transmission (partially accomplished).

Hard to know what's actually going on in China, but they report a steady 100 new cases a day. It all starts with one new case. As long as it's simmering away, there's no reason for it not to flare up again in some unexpected place in some vulnerable population.

The old saying, "there's many a slip twixt cup and lip" seems grotesquely apropos here. I certainly hope the 17th does see a 'flattening', but I ain't holding my breath (behind my mask).

19. Jack B

Jack B Active Member

Oh, I've been encouraging my better half to check out some haircutting videos on YouTube.....

Half Track likes this.
  20. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

So far we have 1% death rate and mostly old people.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.