Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Create your own division

Discussion in 'What If - Other' started by dd09999, Jul 10, 2008.

1. dd09999

dd09999 Member

Just thought of this after posting on another thread about favorite weapons of WW2. If you could create your own division in WW2 using any weapons and equipment at the time from any nation allied or axis. How would you equip it? Example type of tanks, fire arms such as rifles ect...

2. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

I think this may belong more in the "What If?" forum and IIRC there may have been a similar thread about this there :).

3. Za Rodinu

Za Rodinu Aquila non capit muscas

What critiques can you make about extant Divisional T.O.E.s to find them unsatisfying so you need to invent other, unproven ones?

4. Joe

Joe Ace

Hmm. OK.

Tank: Challenger 2/M1A2 Abrams/Leapard 2
    Rifle:G36
    MG:FN Minini
    etc etc

Well it is possible if you had a time machine!

5. Totenkopf

Totenkopf אוּרִיאֵל

Divisional Status:Airbourne
    Nationality: German
    Heavy Vehicles: JagdPanther, Halftrack
    Primary firearms: MP-18,MP-40, Scoped_G43,FG42
    MG-MachienGewhler42(Of Course)
    Secondarys: Broom-handle Mauser

6. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

An airborne jagdpanther?
    That's some parachute :D.

Cheers,
    Adam.

Otto likes this.
  7. dd09999

dd09999 Member

I personally would have a battalion of heavy tanks with tigers, two battalions of panthers. Panzer infantry with SG-44s and with B.A.R.'s for extra fire power. M-81 mortars. 155 Long Tom Artillery.

I agree this should be more under what ifs. But too late for that. LOL

8. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

Sounds like another Fallschirm-Panzer-Division.1 Hermann Göring LOL.

9. von Rundstedt

von Rundstedt Dishonorably Discharged

For a long time i wanted to post something like this so my division would be.

1st Abschleppwagon (Motor Vehicle Recovery) Divisionen (Non Combat)

The division would encompass many trained personel that are experts in the art of Motor Vehicle Recovery, the troops would not be 1st rate troops, in fact many would be over 45.

What the main purpose of the Abschleppwagon Divisionen would be that they follow the main offensives and once the area is secured they come in and remove all vehicles that have broken down or have battle damage, the recovered vehicles are then sent to local dumps to be assesed either to be repaired or stripped for parts, and what remains is sent back to Germany for re-cycling.

Abschleppwagon Divisionen are based on the Panzer Divisionen.

And so there you have it folks.

v.R

10. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Does anyone remember the Walker Brigade on Saturday Night Live from around 1979? If you do, then I would expand that unit to division size.

11. acker

acker Member

I don't know about anything else, but my division would involve Soviet Mice.

Za Rodinu likes this.
  12. T. A. Gardner

T. A. Gardner Genuine Chief

In the US Army these were called Ordinance Maintenance Battalions. They, like US engineers could do the same work as a German division's worth of troops..... Mostly because the US actually gave them something more than hand tools to work with.....

13. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

14. von Rundstedt

Thank you for this information.

What i failed to include is that the Abschleppwagon Divisionen would also cover enemy vehicles as well, and the role of the division could also expand to aircraft recovery as well.

v.R

15. T. A. Gardner

As I put up some time ago:

A single battalion of SeaBees (CB) consists of 32 officers and 1073 men and were provided with the following equipment:

264 16 sq ft tents
    21 17 x 20 ft tents
    26 16 x 50 ft tents
    69 20 x 48 ft quonset huts
    3 40 x 100 ft quonset huts
    8 water purification units (10,000 gpd)
    Canvas tanks for water storage
    2 x 500 gpm fire fighting pumps + hand held extinguishers
    8 x 15 Kw generators
    1 x 50 ckt telephone switchboard + telephones
    1 x public address system
    1 FM radio set with 60 mi range (as required)
    1 x 3/4 ton ambulance
    18 jeeps
    4 3/4 ton weapons carriers
    1 2 1/2 ton truck with 750 gal water tank
    4 1 1/2 ton trucks
    4 2 1/2 ton trucks
    32 2 1/2 ton dump trucks
    1 2 1/2 ton truck oilfield body (for moving heavy equipment and parts)
    1 4 ton truck.
    20 trailers
    1 fifth wheel 2 1/2 ton truck tractor combo
    2 2.5 yd 6 ton crawler cranes
    3 .75 yd 13 ton crawler cranes
    1 1.5 yd 30 ton crawler crane
    All have clamshell and dragline buckets and the 13 ton units have backhoe attachments
    8 class 1 tractors (Caterpillar)
    4 class 2 tractors (Caterpillar)
    4 class 3 tractors (Caterpillar)
    2 class 4 tractors (Caterpillar)
    All have either a bulldozer or angledozer attachment
    4 8 - 10 cu yd earth mover trailers (for use with the tractors)
    4 12 -15 cy yd earth mover trailers
    8 pneumatic rock hammers
    1 8 ton road roller
    1 12 ton road roller
    1 3 tooth trenching machine
    3 road graders w/ 12 ft blade
    2 5 ton cargo cranes
    1 7 cu ft cement mixer
    1 14 cu ft cement mixer
    4 portable 3000 gpm pumps
    Supplies for immediate use included:
    1000 bags of cement
    328,000 BF of lumber
    2800 feet of steel shapes
    10,850 pounds of rebar
    14,000 fasteners
    65,400 feet of wire rope
    120 oxygen cylinders
    2550 lbs of welding rod.

A single Seebee battalion was better equipped than an entire German field army's worth of engineers!

16. von Rundstedt

17. tikilal

tikilal Ace

Well minus the American weapons and the non self-propelled artillery you have yourself a panzer division. Why on earth you would pick the 155 and the bar to compliment your armor I think deserves some explaining. The BAR was okay, (I love John Moses Browning) but a small belt fed machine gun would be better for what you are after. Think the 30 cal. You also failed to add a recon battalion.

I would ask again why was wrong with any of the fielded divisions?

18. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

Don't have to create my own. I would go with ones that actually helped to win the war. The 2nd and 3rd Armored Divisions (Heavy).

19. T. A. Gardner

Ok, I'll bite. As silly as this exercise is, here's my division:

I'll build an armored division.

There will be in addition to the divisional headquarters two brigade headquarters (aka Combat Commands etc.). The divisional headquarters has attached a company of 17 M29 heavy tanks with the 105mm T5E2 gun.

It will have four tank battalions. Each will have:

A headquarters and headquarters company which includes a AM&S section, a comm section, a mortar section with 3 81mm mortars in SPW 38d carriers, an assault gun section with three M4A3 105mm Shermans, and a headquarters platoon of 2 M26 with dozer blade and 3 M26.

There are four line companies in each battalion. Three have 17 M26A1 each and the fourth has 17 M24 light tanks. The usual support units are included for each company.

Next, it has five (5) armored infantry battalions.

Each battalion has a headquarters and headquarters company. The HQ Co includes an AM&S section, comm section, and engineer platoon.

The battalion has four line companies. Three armored infantry and one support.
    The three armored infantry companies are orgainzed as a HQ and three armored infantry platoons.
    The HQ consists of 2 SPW 38d and an AM&S section.
    The line companies have five squads each and a headquarters.
    The HQ is an SPW 38d with 6 men and a .50 machinegun
    Three are line squads. Each is mounted in a SPW 38d and has 2 x MG 42 rechambered for 30.06 ammunition and restricted to 750 rpm. The rest of the squad has M1 Garands and 2 grenade launcher attachments are available. The vehicle has a Panzerschrek in it too. Each squad has 12 men.
    Squad four is the HMG section in a SPW 38d. It has 12 men and is armed with M1 Carbines, 1 x .50 browning and, 2x .30 water cooled browning MGs.
    The fifth squad is the mortar section and has one SPW 38d and 8 men with 2 60mm mortars.

The support company has a mortar platoon with 2 SPW 38d each mounting an 81mm mortar and carrying 8 men and a recoilless rifle platoon of 2 SPW 38d each mounting a 75mm recoilless rifle (US) and 6 men.

The battalion support company has a HMG platoon of 4 SPW 38d each with 1 .50 Browning and 2x .30 Browning water cooled machineguns and 12 men, and a support gun section of 3 x GW 38M Grille with 15cm infantry guns.

There are three battalions of M7B1 105mm SP guns with 18 vehicles each. In addition, there is one battalion of M41 155mm SP Howitzers (aka the Gorilla) with 18 guns.

There is an anti aircraft battalion with 18 M19 SP twin 40mm AA guns and 18 M55 quad .50 mounted on M44 hulls.

A signals company, two quartermaster companies, and an armored engineer battalion with three companies and a heavy equipment company included.

Lastly, there is a reconnissance battalion.
    This has a HQ and HQ Co and 6 line companies.
    The HQ Co includes a mortar platoon of 3 81 mm mortars on SPW 38d and a machinegun platoon of 4 SPW 38d with 2 x .30 Browning water cooled MG each.

The line companies consist of:
    1. Assault gun company with 12 x Sdkfz 234/3
    2. Light tank company with 17 M18 Hellcat.
    3 through 6 are Recon companies.

These consist of a headquarters and three troops.
    Each troop has a HQ of one Sdkfz 234 radio car (sort of an M20 conversion of a Sdkfz 234/1), a heavy section of three Sdkfz 234/1, two light sections of 3 x jeeps with MG 42 (rechambered as above) and 9 men, and a support section in 3 x 3/4ton weapons carriers with 2 x 60mm mortars and 2 x .30 Browing water cooled MG.

The division can form up to three commands from the above units as necessary.

The SPW 38d is this thing for those curious:

http://strangevehicles.greyfalcon.us/Katzchen.htm

Joe likes this.
  20. Totenkopf

Totenkopf אוּרִיאֵל

To expand and update I guess.... Mr. Gardner made me feel like an idiot.

Also could Mr. Gardner(or somebody else) rate my division on how he thinks it would perform in combat?

Note: A unique unit which is dropped behind enemy lines to create a Field HQ for Infantry and Armour Regiments to rendevous at after Break Outs.
    So basicly a Capture-Build-Hold unit.

Divisional/Battalion Status:Airbourne
    Nationality: German
    Vehicles: Light Motorcycle, Folding Bicycle

Abilities and Purpose: To engage known Enemy armored to the fullest extent of their abilities. Also: Night Time Raids.

Secondaries: To build a modile command post that other Non-Airborne and fellow Airbourne units can regroup and use as a Base of Operations.

Companies:

Alpha: Forward Observers; totaling about 75 men, makes usage of long range observation scopes to mark enemy positions for Charlie Company

Beta: Sub-Machine Gun/Rifle Company Patrols region out of the Division's area of operations to ensure un-interupted plans.

Charlie:Close recon and Sniper: The follow up of Alpha, makes best work out of killing known Enemies and Enemy Positions

Delta: Rifle Company: Group one of the front line soldiers who are first into battle

Epsilon:Same as Delta

Gamma:Same as Delta

Theta: Support Company, dropped with Ammo containers and 30 un-assembled MG42's (parts divided up into various men)

Iota: Construction Company, a follow-up drop. All men are peace-time Lumberjacks and Farmers. Dropped with Woodcutting double saws and sandbags and building tools.
    -Makes a HQ for other local units to use as a Go-To point( Sandbags Mounted MGs Mounted A.T. rifles
    -Makes Log bunkers to be used by Lamda Company

Lamda: Defense Company works with Beta and Iota to Build Hardpoints(Log Bunkers) on far out area which Patrol Groups of Beta can use as their Barracks.
    -Defending thier Log Bunkers are their primary use.

Sigma: Light AA, Uses low flying Cargo Planes on a lator drop to Lay and use Light AA Guns in the vicinity of Iota and Lamda AA Guns are dropped in pieces in boxes and are to be assembles with tools and possible support from Iota.

Omega and Zeta: Rifle, A Reserve For Delta, Epsilon, Gamma Rifle companies.

There! Be Kind.