Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Crumbling Empire by Mitchum

Discussion in 'WWII Books & Publications' started by Stevin, Mar 6, 2002.

1. Stevin

Stevin Ace

Gents,

Any ideas on this book 'Crumbling Empire', about the German defeat in the East. I saw it at 'my'discount bookstore for less than $12 and wasn't sure. looked good enough, but thought I'd 'ask you first'. Anyone read it and have an opinion?

You might say, buy it, it's only $12, BUT I left already WAY too much $$$ in this store anyway...

Thnx Stevin

2. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Wish I could help you there--I have never heard of the book--do you remember who the author was? It does sound like a book I must check out [​IMG]

3. Stevin

Stevin Ace

Crumbling Empire: The German Defeat in the East, 1944 by Samuel W., Jr. Mitcham

Amazon sells it for $19.25, so under $12 would be a good buy, but I have to watch my pennies, so just can't go out and buy whatever I want. Been there, done that, got the angry letters from the bank to prove it....
    :D

4. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Thanks for his entire name--I did not see that you had even posted his last name until after I posted. I tried to get into the post to edit it and the internet crashed here at the library.

It was down for the count for a few hours, so I went to the Dollar Cinema and watched: Behind Enemy Lines (again) for a high price of .50 cents. Not a bad way to waste a few hours and cost effective too ;)

5. Stevin

Stevin Ace

Excellent way to spent $0.50 and kill a few hours...Still haven't seen that one...

Just went to see Black Hawk Down the other day (was just released here). Though, of course, no WW2, it does interest me. It is basically the same thing but 50 years on. Wanted to see it because my girl has a friend who was there and I am friends with a somalian guy who told me a lot about the history of the country.

But again...what insanity....

6. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I thought it was a good movie (Black Hawk Down) and I have a friend who was in that very Ranger unit, but not during the stuff going on in Somalia. He was a sniper in the Rangers. My former boss at work was there in Somalia and lost a friend there.

Behind Enemy Lines is a good movie, and well acted. I think that Gene Hackman and Owen Wilson did some real good acting in it. Owen Wilson is the one who was "Behind Enemy Lines. David Keith is the Master Chief on the Carrier and also does a good acting job.

I also like the music played in the movie especially when the jets crew goes on that holiday patrol just before "the incident" takes place. All-in-all, a very enjoyable movie. I give it on a rating scale of 1-5, I give it a 4-1/2. rating.