Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

cyq P38 date?

Discussion in 'Small Arms and Edged Weapons' started by midwestboy75, Apr 10, 2009.

1. midwestboy75

midwestboy75 recruit

Greetings!
    I have recently purchased a P38 with the code "cyq" with orange grips. Upon further research, I have found that the cyq code is linked to the Spreewerke factor in Berlin-Spandau. The year of manufacture of cyq pistols is not marked. Does anyone out there have any knowledge of when approximately the cyq P38s were manufacture? I have a hunch they were produced no earlier than 1943 but I am unsure. Thank you for your responses!

2. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

the grips should either be black or dark red such as mine, orange... ? none of the cyq's are marked with date. mine has the usual waffenmat markings and # 9622. are yours numbered hopefully above the trigger left side and left side receiver, eagle/swastika on right side-receiver. Sometimes taking the grips off will reveal other numerations as well.

E ~ I believe at one time the P-38 and manufact.'s were covered on a very detailed web-site

3. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Spreewerk were the second Wehrmacht subcontractor to deliver P.38s after Walther ( their first 50 were delivered in May 1942 ). Approximately 275,000 were made in total by this company and most of them came from Spreewerk's factory at Grottau-Zittau in Czechoslovakia. It should be possible to work out the date of manufacture from the serial number.

( Above info taken from John Walter's 'Guns Of The Reich' ).

4. midwestboy75

midwestboy75 recruit

Thank you!