Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

D-Day, landing crafts and unit records

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by SPsteam, Feb 21, 2017.

1. SPsteam

SPsteam New Member

I'm creating a timeline of my grandfather's, WWII service (Freeman Degge Freeman[SIZE=11pt] 38154927)[/SIZE] beginning with basic training and running through the end of the war. I conducted quite a bit of background reading and internet research, and hired a military records historian to obtain copies of the Daily Reports for his unit -- this helped tremendously. I'm working my way forward from his enlistment and have good records until just after he arrived in the U.K. He was a Sergeant in the 210th Military Police Company, attached to the 5th Engineer Special Brigade for the Normandy Landings. When the 210th MP Co arrived in the U.K, it split into three platoons with the 1st Platoon joining the 37th Engineer Combat Battalion; the 2nd Platoon joining the 336th Engineer Combat Battalion; the 3rd Platoon joining the 348th Engineer Combat Battalion; and, Headquarters. The Platoons conducted amphibious training with these units, landed on D-Day with them, and remained attached to their ECBn's until about D-Day +4 at which point the Company reformed.

This is where I get stuck. Try as I might, I cannot figure out which of the 4 groups he was in (1st, 2nd, 3rd Platoons or Hq of the 210th MP Co)? Any tips or where I should look? Are the any people who are knowledgeable in this areas and would be helpful to talk with? Other ideas for how I can sort this out?

Related to this, who is usually included in the Headquarter's group for a Military Police Company?

With Thanks,

-Brice

EDIT: added a question about the HQ group.

2. Joel Sytsma

Joel Sytsma New Member

My father was also in the 210th MP. From what I have read, the 1 st platoon landed early in the morning, the 2nd late in the morning and afternoon. I think the 3 rd platoon remained in England for a day or two.

3. firstf1abn

firstf1abn Member

Your best hope is in the morning reports at NARA in St. Louis (assuming they ever reopen). Could be kind of expensive since you don't know how the detachments were managed. A good guess might be that the ECBs each reported on their attached units. Not sure where the HQ section was assigned when the platoons were loaned out or whether the co clerk continued to prepare morning reports for HQ section during the months long prep for Neptune. You might have to start at co arrival in UK.

And even with unlimited resources, there's no guarantee he got mentioned in the morning reports. It's an Easter egg hunt with no certainly any eggs were hidden.

4. Temujin

Temujin Active Member

As much as could find

upload_2022-8-4_22-39-17.jpeg

upload_2022-8-4_22-39-39.jpeg

upload_2022-8-4_22-39-54.jpeg

upload_2022-8-4_22-40-17.jpeg

upload_2022-8-4_22-40-39.jpeg

upload_2022-8-4_22-41-1.jpeg

upload_2022-8-4_22-41-16.jpeg

upload_2022-8-4_22-41-32.jpeg

Source: Fold3.com