Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Darrell "Shifty" Powers

Discussion in 'WWII Obituaries' started by luketdrifter, Jun 23, 2009.

1. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Clementine, thank you for the heads up on this book. Also, I somehow missed hearing that he had passed away. I dont know how i missed it as im usually "hip" on these things.

Rest in Peace Mr Powers. :mourn: :salute: :moh:

2. Clementine

Clementine Member

I believe there was relatively little fanfare, which doesn't seem right, but was probably in keeping with how Mr. Powers lived his life. But he worked with Marcus on this project, so it's as close as we can get now.

3. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Clementine, I agree, after all the stuff out such as BoB mini-series and such, if just does not seem right that he wasnt more noticed? Or it might have been the family just wanting a bit more privacy i guess? Cant blame them either way. It just surprised me to not know of his passing since I did know of the passings of the Major recently, and another BoB member about 18 or so months ago.

4. Takao

Takao Ace

Thanks, Clementine, for the head's up! I had not heard about this upcoming book. I look forward to reading it, since Shifty was one of my favorites(but least written about). I'm glad he is getting his own book, but, at the same time saddened, since it is only being released after his passing.

As for his lack of recent recognition, I think it was just his way. He was very down-to-earth and thought of his actions during World War II as just part of what he had to do. Nothing special or heroic, it was just his "job", which he did very well. While the rest of us may feel that his actions were praiseworthy, I don't think he thought of it that way.

@C.Evans,

I don't remember Shifty's passing generating a lot of news coverage(in the major news sources), except for a few brief blurbs in some of the lesser ones. I remember it only because I had been looking for stories about Mr. Powers, because he was not present at the Mid-Atlantic Air Museum's World War II Weekend. I had thought he had a previous engagement or had fallen ill, and then a week or two later, I read of his passing.

5. Clementine

Clementine Member

It's my understanding Major Winters requested that he be buried prior to his death being reported. But with the universal admiration for the Major, I am very surprised that it remained quiet until after his death - very much a tribute to the respect people felt for him that they did, and were able to, grant that wish, I would guess.

I know Ed Mauser recently passed away (January?) and Amos "Buck" Taylor had a stroke a few weeks ago.

I think you are probably right about Mr. Powers. I saw a quote from his daughter about Marcus' book and she mentioned how humble her father was. And if you read the email scarface posted above, you get an inkling of how humble he was. (I know there are some urban myths now attached to the email, but it did stem from an actual chance meeting and it does reveal Mr. Powers to be humble.)

I know it is life, it is the way it works, but it's just so sad to see people like Shifty Powers and Major Winters leave us, it just makes the world feel a little less bright, a little less safe.

6. Takao

Takao Ace

Very true, Major Winters had wished to keep his passing a secret. Although, I am not surprised it remained quiet. He was held in great admiration and respect by all who knew him. There would have been quite a stigma placed on anyone who blabbed to the news, and where he resided, everyone knows everyone. But, yes, keeping his death a "secret" was very much a sign of the respect he held.

As to Mr. Powers and his daughter, IIRC, until the BOB mini-series, he had never really spoken to his family about what he did in World War II. I believe it was in one of the opening interviews or in the DVD documentary on the 6th disc.

7. Spitfire_XIV

Spitfire_XIV Member

RIP Shifty - I'm sure you'll be up there now with Nix and Major Winters having a great old time.