Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

DAS BOOT: THE UNCUT 5 HOUR VERSION

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by Carl G. E. von Mannerheim, Jun 7, 2004.

1. Carl G. E. von Mannerheim

Carl G. E. von Mannerheim Ace

Its out on DVD now,

Just bought it :D

$30 though....

but when you think about it, thats not bad, $6 per hour of movie,

i think i payed more than that to see 2 Hours of U-571 in theatres...

Maybe they shoulda made it $40 [​IMG]

CvM

2. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

I'll of course buy it. But I'm still pissed off at Wolfgang Petersen. How the man that made "Das Boot" could make such piece of crap like "Troy"? :mad: [​IMG]

3. Carl G. E. von Mannerheim

I thought you would have liked to have seen Brad Pitt in skimpy outfits Fried.

Seems right up your alley :D

Cvm

4. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

Yes, I thought that too... but the script is SO bad and the direction SO bad that Achilles never reaches a poit of real dramatism... Brad Pitt is not such a bad actor, but in this film his performance is rather mediocre, thanks to Mr. Petersen and to that imbecile of Benioff. However, Pitt's weird accent in the film is as fake as Jude Law's southern accent in "Cold Mountain"... :rolleyes:

"Troy" is mediocre in almost every way. As I don't want to hi-jack this thread, please make any comments in the Free Fire Zone's thread about the matter.

5. Herr Kaleun

Herr Kaleun Member

I received my Das Boot DVD last week, but I already was familiar with the entire series since I had a very bad VHS copy of it. I was very pleased though that it is available on DVD in all its digital glory...my only *very small* complaint is that the soundtrack wasn't remastered into DTS...which leads me to this...

Das Boot case in point....Late 1980s, the theatrical version is released on VHS....bought that....mid 1990s, Director's Cut released on DVD...Bought that...then late 90s, Superbit Director's Cut...didn't buy it...and now, the Complete Series...obviously bought that one...I purchased 3 of the 4 incarnations of this film....So what's next? Complete Series with DTS in a year or two?? :confused:

My point is the studios release a movie onto DVD then re-release the same movie in a "Special Collector's Commemorative Limited Extended Edition" a year or two later. [​IMG] :mad: They separate the consumer from their hard earned money better than P.T. Barnum...but I guess they are counting on suckers/fanboys like me. :rolleyes: :D

6. Carl G. E. von Mannerheim

Heh, ive waited for 2 years to get the DVD, been waiting for this version :D

CvM

7. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

Me too! I don't like much my VHS tape recorded from TV, the whole series dubbed in Spanish! :eek: [​IMG]

8. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

Just ordered "Das Boot" from amazon.com, but I had to order the director's cut instead of the just-released complete version. Why? Because the bloody DVD doesn't have Spanish subtitles, thus making it unwatchable for most of my friends around here… [​IMG]

It costed half the price of the complete version, though…

And as it always happens to me, I bet I'll see it in shops in three months, cheaper and in region 4 with subtitles… :mad: Murphy's laws and Friedrich's DVDs always come to-gether! :mad: [​IMG]

9. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

BBC2 in the UK has been showing the original series in 1-hour slots every Sunday, in the glorious original German with English subtitles.

It's still, in my opinion, one of the best films about war ever made. [​IMG]

10. Carl G. E. von Mannerheim

I agree, its an amazing movie

11. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

That's precisely why I hated "Troy" so much! [​IMG]

How could the man that made the glorious "Das Boot" could have made such a piece of crap like "Troy" or "Air Force One"?! :mad:

Hollywood indeed ruins it all… [​IMG]

12. hatch

hatch Member

ill look out for this version . at the moment i have the directors cut which only seems to be in the dire english dubbed version and not the better german with english subtitles .......this new one must be in german with subtitles surely ??????

13. Yancy Derringer

Yancy Derringer Member

20 years ago we've got "das Boot" on ordinary TV here in Austria

14. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

15. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

I recently received the director's cut as a gift. I watched the directors commentary and it was very interesting. He went through the making of the film and the problems they encountered. There are even some mistakes that made it onto the film and he points them out. Great if you can watch the commentary.

A little tidbit, the actor who protrays 'Thomsen' was actually 'very very' drunk in the canteen scene.

16. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

Wow, I never realized it was 5 hours!!!

17. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

the full version shown for German TV was 6 hrs and that included all of the scenes cut out of the theater version.

18. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

I've just bought the 'Superbit' 2-disc full version of 'Das Boot' ( it's supposed to be the best sound/vision version available ). Anyhow, you can play it in German with English subtitles which is what I want.....

I intend to watch this all the way through but just thought I'd quickly try it to make sure it's working OK ; 45 minutes later I've had to force myself to take the DVD off or it'll spoil my intended full viewing :eek:

I don't care what anyone says, it's a great movie with some compelling performances. GREAT ! :cool:

19. Radar4077

Radar4077 Member

i wonder if its on Netflix?

20. ULITHI

ULITHI Ace

I did a quick search on Netflix and did not see it.

I myself prefer the regular movie version that I first bought back in high school.

The director's cut is good, and I bought that when it came out in (1996?), however its a little too long for my taste. They show the scenes with the crew being bored with nothing to do (which of course was a big part of being a uboat crewman), but it makes for kind of dull viewing as well IMO.