Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

DAS BOOT: THE UNCUT 5 HOUR VERSION

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by Carl G. E. von Mannerheim, Jun 7, 2004.

1. Vladd

Vladd Member

Must get this DVD. I recorded the entire series on VHS back when it was first shown in the UK, unfortunately I no longer has a VHS player so my copy now sits with other gear in the the local storage company. Daft really I have a box full of videos I will probably never watch again, most of which I now have on DVD.

2. nachtjager61

nachtjager61 Member

I have had the original uncut version on DVD for over a year now, It is 293 minutes long. The English voice dubbing is much better, the stereo quality is also much better. It is a far better version of the director's cut and has many scenes that were not in the original or the director's cut and I can't believe were cut out of those versions but I guess in order to get into time limits they had to cut something.

Here are two photos from my collection that are hand signed by Heinrich Lehmann-Willenbrock the Captain of U-96 who the book and film are about. Gunther-Lothar Buchheim the war corespondant and author of Das Boot went on patrol with captain Willenbrock and used this as the basis for his book. I also have a photo book by Buchheim called "The U-Boat War" that has many of the photos that he took while on patrol with captain Willenbrock aboard U-96.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are photos of Captain Lehmann-Willenbrock with a beard on patrol and another photo of U-96 returning from a patrol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you would like to see more of my hand signed photos of many of the top U-Boat aces go to the Militaria forum section and under photographs I have posted many of the "over 100" signed U-Boat captain photos from my collection.

Mehar, Martin Bull and ULITHI like this.
  3. DaveWhite

DaveWhite recruit

Truly amazing cinematic piece. I can still hear the pinging in my ears from watching it about 10 years ago. Love it and will watch it again. There really hasn't been a submarine movie made since that can compare. Sometimes it just takes 5 hours to tell a good story.

Ge mwf

4. DaveWhite

DaveWhite recruit

Also, those photos are touching. Thanks, I'm looking forward to checking them out in other threads.