Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Daschunds are tenderer (from the pages of Time Mag 1940)

Discussion in 'Western Europe' started by Falcon Jun, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Falcon Jun

Falcon Jun Ace

From the pages of Time Mag Capsule 1940:

To a war menu which already fish-fed poultry, decrepit horses, goats and numerous zoo animals, Germany added those of its dogs. A new law, effective Jan. 1, states that dogs, wolves, foxes, bears, and wild hogs have been legalized as meat. After being inspected for trichina, their carcasses will be dressed, stapmed and distributed to butchers for rationing to general consumers.
    Dog meat has been eaten in every major German crisis at least since the time of Frederick the Great and is commonly referred to as "blockade mutton." It is tough, gamy, strong flavored. in boiling or roasting, it gives off an odor reminiscent of a neglected zoo. Of European dog breeds, the German dachsund is considered the most succulent.

von Poop likes this.
  2. Hufflepuff

Hufflepuff Semi-Frightening Mountain Goat

Aw man my aunt would freak out if she read this; she has two labradors :(

Interesting subject though. It makes sense that the Germans would do something like this when people in Poland at the time were eating stray cats and dogs in the poor cities and ghettoes. It suprises me that they did this so early in the war, though.

3. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Another thing interesting with Germans was that in almost every nation once the war started zoos were closed down except for Germany. The animals once the zoos were closed were killed. I think the main reason was that food supplies were considered too scarce. Correct me if I´m wrong but I recall reading about this and did not actually wonder about closing them really.

4. Falcon Jun

Falcon Jun Ace

Yes, it surprised me, too. It caught my attention because I have a pet dachsund and five other dogs.

I have found that reading stuff written during the war very interesting. Since most of us here know our World War II stuff from books written after the war, I hope you guys wouldn't mind if I put in items that were written during the period. These stuff gives a nice perspective on how things were viewed. I hope you senior guys at the forum will give me the go ahead.

5. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Definitely continue!

6. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

:rofl:
    You learn something new every day :D, thanks FJ, great stuff.

Just a bit of context, this is from Time Magazine (admittedly before the Yanks officially joined the war but the wind was blowing at that time) so we're reading a fair sized slab of propaganda aren't we. I can't see the Germans being starving enough (or at all) in 1940 to indulge in such practices, that are counter to most Western European mores, perhaps the opposite as the food resources of France were captured . Highly entertaining bit of 'Those nasty Nazis! They eat dogs!' but worthy of a large pinch of salt?
    Do we know which international edition of 'Time' this came from?.
    (If there were international editions in 1940?)

Cheers,
    Adam.

7. Falcon Jun

Falcon Jun Ace

What I have is the Time Mag Capsule series from the 1920s to the 1950s. I agree that propaganda is evident in the World War II stories and are slanted but they are still interesting reading. I particularly like how Time announced the release of the old DD's to Britain. I'm currently typing them up manually because I don't want to ruin my the spine of my copies by running them through a flatbed scanner.

8. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Of course! Whatcha waiting on? Git 'er dun.:D

9. domherr

domherr Member

On 20 March 1942, the first birth of an elephant in the zoo Hanover, which Elefantenkuh "Puncha 'gets a female calf named" Malaya ". Interesting is that the father is not "Omar" was, but the circus bull "Piccolo", by the French circus Amar, where "Puncha" worked. In October 1943 are four indoor elephant in the zoo Hanover: "Burma II", "Malaya", and "mini" and "Sachsa", after the destruction of the Nuremberg Zoo in Hanover set. They survive the heavy bombing of the war, Hanover and also completely destroy the zoo.

and dogs :D oh mz good nice propaganda.
    in the ww1 the germans children eat

10. bigfun

bigfun Ace

When you are hungry, you'll eat anything. In Holland they ran out of food and started to eat tulip bulbs, to survive.