Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

David stirling

Discussion in 'Leaders of World War 2' started by dave phpbb3, Mar 3, 2005.

1. dave phpbb3

dave phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Can anyone give me some info on the founder of the sas

2. merlin phpbb3

merlin phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    post subject

Look up David Stirling on your search engine.

3. dave phpbb3

dave phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Re: post subject

ive tried but i get sources that vary on everything, plus i have to search throught loads of crap so i was just wondering if anyone had any info on hand with them

4. merlin phpbb3

merlin phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    post subject

I've found no problem with David Stirling SAS on Google, surely it's worth reading for correct info?Just depends on what you call "crap" I suppose.
    Would you be happier if I tell you that I've scrounged souvenir bits off the planes shot up on Barce airfield (near Benghazi) by one of Stirlings raids?

5. GP

GP New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Colonel Sir David Stirling, OBE, DSO (1915 - 1990) was a Scottish laird, a keen mountaineer, an officer in the British Army during World War 2, and the founder of the Special Air Service.

He was educated at Ampleforth College and the University of Cambridge.

David Stirling joined the Scots Guards as a subaltern in 1939, and in June 1940 volunteered for the new No.8 Commando under Lt. Col. Robert Laycock which became part of Force Z (later named "Layforce"). After Layforce (and No.8 Commando) were disbanded on 1st August 1941, Stirling remained convinced of the need for a certain type of raiding force in North Africa.

Aware that going through the chain of command would not work Stirling decided to go straight to the top. On crutches following a parachuting accident he snuck into Army headquarters in a effort to see Commander-in-Chief General Claude Auchinleck. Taking cover in an office Stirling came face to face with Deputy Commander Middle East General Ritchie. Stirling explained his plan to Ritchie and Ritchie convinced Auchinleck to allow Stirling to form a new Special Forces unit. The unit was given the deliberately misleadingly name "L Detachment, Special Air Service Brigade" to enforce an existing deception of a parachute brigade existing in North Africa.

Stirling was captured by the Italians in January 1943 and spent the rest of the war at Colditz prisoner of war camp.

His name has sometimes been mentioned in connection with the alleged attempts to undermine the Labour government in the mid-1970s, and possibly even topple it by a military coup.

He was knighted in 1990, and died later that year.

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Stirling

Hope it helps.

6. dave phpbb3

dave phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Re: post subject

thanks GP

and merlin that realy cool wot did you manage to scrounge and if you dont mind me asking when did you scrounge it?