Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Death Cards

Discussion in 'Death Cards' started by Otto, Sep 21, 2000.

1. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Soviet fighters I would say as on February 1944 most of the Baltic coast was still controled by Germany. However it could have been hit while flying over Soviet lines and crash trying to get home. It would be interesting to try to find out about Soviet claims and recee losses for the day. What did thse units usually fly? Henschels, Storchs? I have no idea.

2. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

I've asked some experten the last week on this guy, numerous answers as to units and then they take back theri answers stating they are not sure........hmmmmmmm well reagrdless I think the airman flew in either a Ju 88D or a Ju 188 recon bird especially since it is noted on his card he is from a LONG range unit.

well hopeful more within a weeks time on him and the engagement

3. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

I think we may have found something or ...... ? from another forum

you mention FAGr 1 but without a/ c, but did it have smaller units under it's overall command during that time period ?

I guess it did, but how would I recognize them? Also in Lettland are listed 1.(F)/122 and 5.(F)/122, but to which superior units were they attached? I know the Staffel/Gruppen/Geschwader organization of the Jagdflieger, but the Aufklärer don't fit in that template.

Looking closely, Stab/FAGr 1 and 1.(F)/122 are listed on the same field in subsequent lines with 1.(F)/122 annotated "Total 7 Ju 188". Diligent between-the-lines reading suggests that the authors perhaps meant to say that these units had 7 aircraft between them. I hate to say that, but German books on aviation topics are frequently unprofessional in the details! Errors and ambiguities ...

4. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

craps no not 1.F.122 they were based out of Greece in January and through February 44 so the guy is not part of that unit .........

back to it

5. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

In the meantime here is a Fallschirmjäger who fell at the end of the the battle of Normandy (Falaise?) and who is buried in Saint André.

[​IMG]

6. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Skipper any idea of what unit ? not sure what Fallshirm units took part alongside the 17th W-SS on the "west" end of Normandie...........am I right about this in this mans case ?

7. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Well the problem with those cards are that I could start a research for all of them and I just don't have the time, so I'm afraid the answer is no idea.

8. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

persistance pays off I think, through research and asking intelligent questions. for the above card the long range recee chap Karl S.

Hi Erich,

3.(F)/22 might be the unit you're after. For the period of interest they were based at Riga and during Jan44 and Feb44 were operating the Ju 188F-1, they received a single Ju 88D-1 in Feb44.

well Skipper will have to follow up on the Fallshirm chap unless one of our other distinguished members can add their two cents

9. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Good research Erich! So Riga is the place. I will see if I have time to post one or two others.

10. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Here is another challenge for you Erich : This man was the pilot of a bomber during the Campaign of France. He died in combat on May 1940. I haven't had time to find out about his unit or the nature of the Operation, I'd imagine he was flying a HE111 or a Do17s and being shot down while attacking a target in northern France

[​IMG]

11. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Skipper looking back at the LW Fallschirm chap, dark collar patches .........and it could be just the filter but they look red / maybe a member of the Normandie LW FJ Rgt 6 ?

12. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Regiment 6 would make sense. I will try to check later. Didn't that the unit got hammered precisely at Falaise? His burial place is close to my mom's home. Cheers Erich.

13. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

A grenadier who fell during the Battle of the Colmar pocket. He was 35.

[​IMG]

14. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

ya know it is very interesting how simple some of these are and yet how complex as well with rank, sometimes awards given and even the hint of the unit they were with..........alot of history spoken

keep em coming I've got more to be scanned

15. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

A Luftwaffe bomber pilot who died in Tunesia in early 1943

[​IMG]

16. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

a bit on the errie side, one of my cousins was downed in aerial combat against US B-24's on this date of 26 November 1944 some 63 years ago. I remember him and the Allied crews that faced him and his unit which lost 40 pilots this date.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Stevin

Stevin Ace

Sad story, Erich. We remember them today.... Doing the kind of research that you/we do and they people we read about and research....Every day is memrorial Day.....

18. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

I sent a mail to the author of the article with the old wood cross, the little town of Holtensen paid to have it removed and replaced out of their own pocket books............I was very impressed with thanks. would luv to have a section of that old cross for the office as a memorial but...

19. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

May he rest in peace for many more centuries. :poppy: the initiative of these villagers is to be praised, you can't imagine how many graves are simply forgotten, including war graves.

20. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

I agree completely Skipper and in work with two Europeans that are searching for the German night fighter crews MIA over the Ardenne 1944-45. what a task they will have to take a long break now as I am sure the Ardenne is covered in snow correct ?

we may never know really how many lost from all sides ~ very sad