Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Death Cards

Discussion in 'Death Cards' started by Otto, Sep 21, 2000.

1. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Keystone I don't feel alone anymore ............... thanks for adding

here is another German KM member card I just acquired and have been doing some indepth research on

[​IMG]

the chap was serving on a converted French ship the "Notre Dame de Dunes" on the Ems and it was sunk on 19 April 1944 by the British night bombers or so says the German source I have been checking, this was most probably by aerial mines already laid in the Ems river and this Boot, the Vorpostenboot V-1237 was one of several cleaning out the river. As she was sunk at night it was probably due to running over 1-2 mines as the Vorpostenboots were not large vessels. The Boat served in the 12th Vorpostenflottille.

Skipper with your French sources do you have anything on the French vessel going by that name ?

2. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Nice one Erich. I will certainly check this out for you, but you"ll have to wait a few days. I am going to Holland in a few hours and won't have access to my files there.

3. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

I have plenty of time I nearly busted out my right wrist at work today so this is painful typing.........am outta here, give me a heads up next week when you get back, have fun

4. domherr

domherr Member

5. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Thanks for the link! Don't worry about the translation. Both Erich and I who are most interested in this threas will understand.

6. domherr

domherr Member

ok , here 2 DC from the opertion rot - red .
    france campaign / juni 15 ., 18
    stubenhofer kia 70 km / paris
    schmidt kia near 7 lagarde

and handpaint from leutnant fritsch.

Lg
    domherr

[​IMG]

7. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Nice ones. June 15th is the attack of the Loire river area ( 120+ km South of Paris) . This could mean the man fell while trying to get there. The other one is one of the later victims of the Battle of France. Lagarde is in Lorraine . This casualty was possibly killed while trying to asault the Maginot

8. domherr

domherr Member

ore ,Poitiers

Lagarde-sur-le-Né - poitou -charentes ?

Not to be determined.

2 of a few thousands.

Now they are in my collection france part 1

Skipper likes this.
  9. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

good point. The Heer fought there at that date (they were near Tours three days before, if I remember correctly) One way to know is to check out which units were in those towns. Another hint would be to find out if the French garrison near Lagarde, Moselle was still fighting in a pocket or if they had given up that part of the Maginot line.

10. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

domherr yes looked through your site link several times, thanks for osting and as Skipper has said I know what is shared.

so Skip anything on the mysterious former Frenchboat turned Anti-Mineschiff of the 12th Vorpostenflottille - Notre Dame de Dunes ?

11. domherr

domherr Member

hallo erich

12th Vorpostenflottille - ship

Notre Dame de Dunes + 19.4.44 kia

collection france part 2

d-day -
    Operation Overlord

art - patenzettel

[​IMG]

12. domherr

domherr Member

and josef - kia

invasionsfront.

brother martin kia - osten

[​IMG]

13. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Some more nice ones Domherr! I like the notre Dame des Dunes one a lot. I have looked further for this ship and this is what my guess is. The name Notre Dame des Dune makes me think of a captured ship at Dunkirk. Notre Dame des Dunes is the Protector of the Dunkirk sailors and several churches and schools are named after her in this area. Dunkerque comes from Dutch "Duinkerken" which means "church in the Dunes" (Notre Dames des Dunes) so it's a typical name for this Flanders area.

14. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

research is fun, research is fun, keep telling yourselves that gents,,,,,,,,,,,

dom thanks for adding your cards to this thread.

skip you may have hit right on it. On most occassions the Vorpostenboots are not large ships/boats as they have to traverse narrow water ways and get in close to the shore line(s). from J. Rohwers comprehensive book and seite he states that 3 boots were sunk, 2 on the 18th and the Notre on the following eve in the Ems by RAF a/c, so was it in harbor location and plastered to pieces by bombs or did it run over aerial mines (which I think is the case here as it was on ops). all 3 boots were from the 12th Flottille.

have secured another KM death card I will post soon, the chap was on a mineing mission and KIA in the Arctic waters on 1 Februar 1943. Either one of you have infos on this as I seem to be lacking details.

E ~

15. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

My latest buy! This one came in from Austia this morning. It's a KM Bootsmann who died on a naval fight in near Brest . Don't know whether it's a Schnellboot or Vorpost sailor. He was severly wounded and taken to the Pont l'Abbé hospital near Quimper . He died there on August 24th 1944 at the age of 36 . I believe he is buried at LESNEVEN. :cool:

[​IMG]

16. domherr

domherr Member

skipper @ Wühr - he lived not far from my apartment
    ....>

an kurios marine sterbebild

alltimes look on kuriosa...

[​IMG]

17. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Nice one indeed! So he was KM first and SS grenadier later? Is this because his unit was surrounded at Libau and that he had to fight on land? Interesting , the first time I see this

18. domherr

domherr Member

since there were no more boats there were, it was customary.
    ( it was normal in germany, ss could not collect soldiers)

but it can also have other reasons.

19. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

it makes this card very interesing!

20. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

excellent additions gentlemen !

another purchase this time KIA on 28 Januar 45. Marked N/0307 on the reverse as well as the typical Virgin Mary in sorrow with dying German soldier.

just to add just now the crew-member was aboard the Zerstörer Z-31 which engaged the British Cruiser " Diadem " and the Z-31 was badly damaged on the 28 Jan. 45 date

[​IMG]