Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Did the Southern Press Have a Negative Effect on the Confederate War Effort?

Discussion in 'Military History' started by Volga Boatman, Jan 27, 2013.

1. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

Yes sir. I have never seen a picture definatively identified as Buck Preston. It may be out there, I just haven't seen it.

Here's John Bell Hood

[​IMG]

....And another

[​IMG]

....and a third.

[​IMG]

Here's a picture I took of the spot Hood was wounded at Chickamauga.

[​IMG]

Drawing of the event looking towards Dyer field.

[​IMG]

2. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

[​IMG]
    Another view from near the same spot. The viewer is facing generally west. This is the view Kershaw's South Carolinian's would have had as they moved in support of Johnson's, Robertson's and Law's troops. They attacked obliquely to the right across the field or northwest. The ridge at the back of Dyer field is much steeper and the field far wider than is apparent from the photographs. In fact it is really deceptive when viewed from the ground. When we did the re-enactment for the National Park Service for the 135th anniversary there were well over 100 re-enactors that recreated this assault probably closer to 175. Only four of us actually made the assault all the way to the top without stopping, myself, my older son who was in excellent shape because of training for football and wrestling, some older, probably 50 years old re-enactor we didn't know, he was a tall, thin, lanky guy. Then a friend of ours who kept trying to quit, but I kept going by making obscene comments about his having pain in his female parts. It does give you a better appreciation of how hard physically those men were. (or it could be a statement at how physically unfit most re-enactors are)

[​IMG]
    General Joseph B. Kershaw

At the time of Chickamauga Kershaw's brigade consisted of the 2d, 3rd, 7th, 8th, and 15th South Carolina Regiments and 3rd South Carolina Battalion.

[​IMG]
    Dyer field following path taken by Kershaw's troops I. The tall obelisk at the left center is the South Carolina Monument. The woods to the left are where Lt. Richard Kirkland, of Kershaw County, South Carolina was killed. Kirkland is best known as the "Angel of Marye's Heights", where as a Sergeant during the Battle of Fredericksburg he crossed the Stone Wall to take water to the wounded Union troops.
    From Wikipedia:
    "The morning of December 14 revealed that over 8,000 Union soldiers had been shot in front of the stone wall at Marye's Heights. Many of those remaining on the battlefield were still alive, but suffering terribly from their wounds and a lack of water.
    Soldiers from both sides were forced to listen to the painful cries of the wounded for hours, with neither side daring to venture out for fear of being shot by the enemy. At some point during the day, Kirkland allegedly approached Confederate Brig. Gen. Joseph B. Kershaw, also from Kershaw County, South Carolina, and informed him that he wished to help the wounded Union soldiers. By Kershaw's own account, at first he denied the request, but later he relented. However, when Kirkland asked if he could show a white handkerchief, General Kershaw stated he could not do that. Kirkland responded "All right, sir, I'll take my chances."
    Kirkland gathered all the canteens he could carry, filled them with water, then ventured out onto the battlefield. He ventured back and forth several times, giving the wounded Union soldiers water, warm clothing, and blankets. Soldiers from both the Union and Confederate armies watched as he performed his task, but no one fired a shot. General Kershaw later stated that he observed Kirkland for more than an hour and a half. At first, it was thought that the Union would open fire, which would result in the Confederacy returning fire, resulting in Kirkland being caught in a crossfire. However, within a very short time, it became obvious to both sides as to what Kirkland was doing, and according to Kershaw cries for water erupted all over the battlefield from wounded soldiers. Kirkland did not stop until he had helped every wounded soldier (Confederate and Federal) on the Confederate end of the battlefield. Sergeant Kirkland's actions remain a legend in Fredericksburg to this day.."

At Chickamauga Kirkland was attempting to use the draws, which provide a patial defilade, in the woods to flank a Federal Battery emplaced on the hill. Kirkland was shot and killed, his final words: "I'm done for... save yourselves and please tell my pa I died right."

3. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

Duplicate Post

4. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

[​IMG]

Another picture higher up the hill/ridge. The smaller monument by the tablets is, Shultz's battery M, 1st Ohio Light Artillery.

[​IMG]

Schultz's, Battery M, 1st Ohio Light Artillery

[​IMG]

South Carolina Monument

[​IMG]

Now a view looking back down the ridge from the South Carolina monument, towards the Glen-Kelly road. The woods to the upper right, to the right of the truck, is where the Hood's wounding spot picture was taken. You can really tell the distance and elevation change in this photo. The ridge that extends due south from this position along the back side of Dyer field is where the Federal Army tried to concentrate artillery pieces to slow the breakthrough. The most artillery pieces captured in any single assault in the Civil War occured here. I don't remember the exact number, I'm thinking it was 26 or 29, I will find out. Anyway the artillery lacked infantry supports and many of the artillerists and most of the battery horses were shot down preventing their falling back.
    The wood line along the backside of the Glen-Kelly Road is the rear of the Union lines along the LaFayette Road, maybe 150 to 200 yards through the trees. This is why a staff officer riding the road failed to see that a unit was not missing from the line and and led to the order that pulled Wood's Division out to cover the non-existant gap, just as Longstreet's assault hit.

5. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

Now where the South Carolina Monument sits, Kershaw's South Carolinian's paused, reformed their lines, shifted half-right facing due north and advanced through the wood's, a couple hundred yards towards the Vittitoe Road. The Vittitoe Road run's basically east and west from the Snodgrass house, along a plateau in the ridge, towards the Vittitoe homestead. Thomas had set up a line from the fields in front of the Snodgrass house, up to the hill the Snodgrass house sat upon, and back along the horseshoe ridge leading back to the Vittitoe place. Here is the picture of a 12lb. Napoleon from a battery that fired in support of Kershaw's advance, it is located midway between the SC monument and the Vittitoe Road.

[​IMG]

12lb. Napoleon

[​IMG]

Another view.

I'll go out and get some more pictures to finish the story, it will give me the opportunity to take the Snodgrass Hill pictures Volga asked me about some time back.

6. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

Get me the unit he was in and I'll get you the details of his units actions at Chickamauga and some pictures. It will help flesh out your families story and I love to do research.

There are a bunch of Confederate soldiers that died in local hospitals that are buried in the old Jewish Cemetary here and at a second large cemetary up near Silverdale. The Jewish community in Chattanooga donated the land for a final resting place for the soldiers of the South. This is one reason why I really get pizzed off when I see Neo-Nazi groups attempting to appropriate the Confederate Flag. There was no racial or ethnic divide between southerners and their jewish bretheren. They we all southerners. I really despise those Neo-Nazi idiots that taint the memory of our southern forefathers. (I edited my reply out of respect for your position with the forum. My initial reaction was ***** those Neo-nazi..., with ***** being the proper name for a threaded fastener used for securing two pieces of wood).

7. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I just saw this. Ill see if i can find it.

8. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

I take my dog walking there every day or so, get me the info and I'll get you a detailed report.

9. Riter

Riter Well-Known Member

Davis was too much a politician to win the war. While West Point trained, he either forgot or didn't learn Frederick the Great's maxim, "He who defends everything, defends nothing." Davis had to answer to various governors about the defense of their state and tried to appease everyone (and appeased no one).

Fort Henry was poorly placed and Fort Donelson was not relieved when it was attacked. Its loss meant the loss of Kentucky and most of Tennessee; which would allow the Union Armies to attack anywhere in the heartland (though it took years to do this). Loss of New Orleans caused many Europeans nations to hesitate in recognizing the Confederacy (lack of cooperation between Confederate army & navy there). If you read Grant's memoirs, he thought the Confederacy was at a distinct strategic disadvantage after Fort Donelson fell (but no one had the brains to exploit that success). I don't think the Confederates should have invaded Kentucky. If it was a buffer state, then the North couldn't use it to attack Tennessee and the heartland.

By contrast, Lincoln who was only a militia captain during some Indian War had a better grasp of strategy than Davis. Having an attorney's mind, Lincoln could absorb and analyze things by weighing its merits and demerits. However couldn't find a general who could bring it all together until he found Grant.

The media in the North hated Lincoln and mocked him unmercilessly too. There's a book on that subject mater.

10. Slipdigit

His name was William David TINDAL.
    K Co., 39th Alabama Infantry

He was standing behind Capt Hood, when he was killed and then hit by a ball in the knee, destroying his kneecap.
    We figured he must have been standing perpendicular to the path of the bullet when he was hit.

Talking with a great uncle who knew his children, he could bend the knee, just had trouble walking. Apparently he had trouble extending his leg.

I do genealogical research. I have families that sent every adult male of age to fight. I am left to wonder what the families left at home did to eat, as they were farmers with small children and farm work often required strength. Cooking food was not easy on a open fireplace, either. I was just working on one line that had six brothers and two sisters. All the brothers and brothers-in-law went to fight. Three out of the 8 were killed or died of wounds.

11. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

Polk's Corps, Hindman's Division, Dea's Brigade, the 39th Alabama was commanded by Col Whitfield Clark. I know exactly where they fought on the 2nd day (20 September). Dea's Brigade was part of the big breakthrough at the Brotherton House, they were to the south/left flank of Hood's troops. They shattered Davis' division and the majority of Sheridan's division, (the famous General Phillip Sheridan was caught up with the route and fled the field). One of Sheridan's Brigade Commanders William H Lytle attempted to form, then rally his troops to stop the Confederate onslaught and was killed. Dea's Brigade captured something like 17 Union artillery pieces during their charge. Confederate General Manigault's Brigade was to Dea's south/left flank and ran into Union Col. John T Wilder's "Lightning" Brigade of mounted infantry at the Widow Glenn's house (location of Wilder's Tower now). Wilder's Spencer armed troops shot them to pieces and fired into the flanks of Hindman's troops at Lytle Hill. Later in the day they (Dea's Brigade) moved to join the assaults on Thomas' Snodgrass Hill/Horseshoe Ridge position. I'll have to research where they were there.

Hindman's Division was made up of 1.) Anderson's (BG Patton Anderson) Mississippi Brigade 2.) Dea's (BG Zachariah C Deas) Alabama Brigade 3.) Manigault's (BG Arthur M Manigault) Alabama Brigade (also contained combined 10th/19th South Carolina).
    Dea's Brigade consisted of the 19th Alabama Infantry Regiment, 22nd Alabama Infantry Regiment, 25th Alabama Infantry Regiment, 39th Alabama Infantry Regiment, 50th Alabama Infantry Regiment,17th Alabama Battalion Sharpshooters
    and Dent's Alabama Battery.

Excerpts from the US Army Command and General Staff Ride at Chickamauga:

Deas” Brigade
    (Tanyard see map 81)​
    Situation: 20 September 1863, a.m. At approximately the same time that Johnson began his attack, Major General Thomas C. Hindman, who was on Johnson’s left, also began his advance. Hindman’s assault caught Davis’ division moving to fill the gap left by Wood. Both of Davis’ brigades broke and were driven to the rear. Meanwhile, Sheridan’s division, which had been ordered north to support Thomas, was moving into the southern end of Dyer Field. Although Sheridan’s leading brigade was also broken, Brigadier General William H. LytIe’s brigade made a stand on a hill west of the field. There, it halted the advance of Brigadier General Zachariah C. Deas’ Brigade of Hindman’s Division. Deas received some assistance from an unexpected source when the 15th Alabama Infantry from Brigadier General E. McIver Law’s Brigade arrived in his rear. Vignette: ‘“At the first fire of the enemy, so unexpected and near, my regiment exhibited a momentary hesitancy and wavering, but upon my ordering “charge,’ it moved at double-quick, and, with a shout, scaled the enemy’s works, and pursued their panic-stricken and shattered ranks through the woods and undergrowth until, reaching the borders of another open field, the enemy were discovered behind some houses, potash-works, and rail breastworks. At this point there was not even a momentary hesitancy, but with an increased shout and rapidity of step, we drove the enemy from these works with great slaughter, and pursued them through the open field some 250 yards to an elevated skirt of heavy open woods, where we again came upon him and drove him in utter confusion from two pieces of artillery and other breastworks. There being no horses near, we were compelled to leave the pieces of artillery on the ground. Just here, the Fifteenth Alabama Volunteers, who were to the right of my rear, began a heavy enfilading fire upon me. I immediately discovered they were friends, and ordered my colors back to the edge of the open field, and waving them, discovered to the Fifteenth Alabama their error, upon which they came up by a left-oblique march in fine order, and, joining in with my regiment, we continued to pursue the enemy for some distance across fields, woods, roads, and hills, until we passed over the telegraph road of the enemy into the hills, where we passed also other pieces of artillery, and found we had utterly cut the enemy’s lines asunder.‘” (Colonel Samuel K. McSpadden, 19th Alabama Infantry Regiment, Deas’ Brigade, in O.R., vol. 30, pt. 2,334.)

The high ground where Lytle attempted to make a stand and was killed is now called Lytle Hill. Law's (BGen Evander Law) Alabama Brigade was part of Hood's Division, Army of Northern Virginia and had fought at Devils' Den and the Round Tops at Gettysburg two months earlier.

Lytle’s Brigade
    (Lytle shell pyramid [see map 91)​
    Situation: 20 September 1863, a.m. Lytle’s brigade of Sheridan’s division moved from the Widow Glenn’s cabin and occupied this position about 1130. The brigade was following Laiboldt’s brigade, also of Sheridan’s division, which advanced into the southern end of Dyer Field to support Davis’ division. When the Confederate attack crushed Davis and Laiboldt, Lytle tried to rally his brigade on this ridge. For a brief time, he was successful, until he was hit three times (in the spine, foot, and mouth) and killed. When the brigade was driven from the field, Lytle’s body was left behind. The Confederates who occupied the ground recognized Lytle, a well-known poet from Cincinnati, and placed a guard over the body. Eventually, Lytle’s remains were returned to the Federals for burial. Vignette: “‘While riding through the woods yesterday I came upon the dead body of General Lytle, of Cincinnati, Ohio. I recognized him at once. We had been friends in the old days, as our fathers were before us. A Confederate soldier was standing guard over the body. From what I learned from the guard it appeared that a brigade of AIabama troops, under command of General Zach. Deas, while advancing in the charge Longstreet made, had struck Lytle’s brigade. The latter was behind rude entrenchments of logs and rails. These had been swept by Deas’s men, driving Lytle’s back. About this time Lytle was struck, and his men, retreating, left his body where he fell. He was recognized by his uniform as a general officer, and Captain West, of General Deas’s staff, took charge of his watch and papers, and placed the sentinel on guard over the body. Dismounting, I asked the man his instructions, and he replied, ‘I am here to take care of this body and to allow no one to touch it.’ “All right,’ I said. ‘I hope you will do it.’ I then looked to see where Lytle had been struck, and found that one ball had entered his right instep, and another his mouth, knocking out some teeth, and making its exit in the back of the neck. When he was killed he was smoking a cigar. He was dressed in fatigue uniform. His shoulder-straps-one star-indicated the rank of brigadier-general. He wore high riding-boots, a regulation overcoat, dark kid gloves. While standing beside the body, General Preston rode up, and asked, ‘Who have you there?’ I replied, ‘General Lytle, of Cincinnati.‘--‘Ah! said General Preston, ‘General Lytle, the son of my old friend, Bob Lytle! I am very sorry indeed it is so;” and he dismounted and was much affected. After asking the sentinel his instructions, and receiving the same answer I had obtained, he said to him, ‘See that you do it, my man.’ We then mounted and rejoined the division, which had halted on the road. “‘Lytle’s body was returned in an ambulance to his friends, under flag of truce, and, as he was known to the gentlemen of the Southern army to be a gallant and chivalrous soldier, as well as the author of the beautiful poem entitled, ‘Anthony and Cleopatra,’ all were sincerely grieved at his taking off. As the ambulance containing the remains passed on its way to the enemy’s lines the road was lined with officers and men, who testified their respect for the dead General by removing their hats and looking on silently.*’ (William Miller Owen, In Camp and Battle With the Washington Artillery [Boston, MA: Tichnor and Co., 18851,286-87.) Teaching Point: Humanity in war. Stand 2

More on Lytle and his last fight here: Bound For Glory: Poet-General William H. Lytle - Warfare History Network

[​IMG]

Keith Rocco painting of 21st Ohio defending against Confederate attacks at Horseshoe Ridge, afternoon of 20 September. I'll have to do some more checking, but IIRC Dea's Brigade was involved in at least one attack here. The painting is the cover for Peter Cozzens "This Terrible Sound", IMO the best book on the Chickamauga Battle.

Slipdigit likes this.
  12. Slipdigit

I also had some relatives in the 17th Battalion Sharpshooters and Dent's Alabama Battery, if I remember correctly. I would have to look at who there were, as they are not direct ancestors.

13. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

Man, I love looking into this stuff! They were part of Leonidas Polk's Corps at Chickamauga so would most likely have carried the Polk/Bragg's Corps battleflag. The 22d Alabama's still exists so it would have been similar to theirs.

[​IMG]

Note: The Shiloh and Murfreesboro battle honors.

At Shiloh the 19th, 22d, 25th and 26th (Coltart's) Alabama Infantry Regiments along the 1st Louisiana Regulars were brigaded together under BGen Adley Gladden (mw Shiloh), Withers Division, Bragg's Corps, Army of Mississippi.
    The 39th Alabama joined the brigade after Shiloh at Corinth along with the 17th Alabama Sharpshooters, II Corps, Army of Mississippi, Hindman's Corps, Withers Division, the brigade now commanded by BGen Franklin K Gardner. Withers Division was part of the Reserve Corps, and they were not engaged during the Perryville Campaign. BTW, there were two 26th Alabama's one in the Army of Mississippi/Army of Tennessee and one with the Army of Northern Virginia. The AoM/AoT 26th Alabama, Coltart's, was redesignated the 50th Alabama on 8 June 1863. The 1st Louisiana Regulars were so reduced by casualties after Murfreesboro/Stones River they were detached from the brigade and made provosts.
    The brigade, now commanded by Dea's, still part of Wither's Division, now a part of Polk's Corps, Army of Tennessee fought desperately and valiantly at Murfreesboro/Stones River, Wither's Division taking 2,500 casualties out of 7,700 present. What is an interesting coincidence is that they fought Phil Sheridan's troops at Murfreesboro and it was Sheridan's troops they routed at Chickamauga.
    From Wikipedia:
    The second Confederate wave was by Polk's corps, consisting of the divisions of Maj. Gens. Jones M. Withers and Benjamin F. Cheatham. What saved the Union from total destruction that morning was the foresight of Brig. Gen. Philip Sheridan (McCook's wing), who anticipated an early attack and had the troops of his division up and ready in the center of the right half of the line by 4:00 a.m. Withers hit Sheridan's right flank first (and Davis's left) but was repulsed in three separate charges. Then Cheatham, with his reserve division, hit Sheridan's front as Cleburne struck his flank. Cheatham's assault was sluggish and piecemeal; observers claimed he had been drinking heavily and was unable to command his units effectively. While Sheridan's men slowed the enemy advance, they did it at heavy cost to themselves; all three of Sheridan's brigade commanders were killed that day, and more than one third of his men were casualties in four hours of fighting in a cedar forest surrounded on three sides that became known as "The Slaughter Pen". By 10:00 a.m., many of the Confederate objectives had been achieved. They had captured 28 guns and over 3,000 Union soldiers.

14. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

Slip, I don't know how much you have on your ancestor, William D. Tindal, but here's some stuff I've come across.

Name: William David Tindal
    Birth Date: 1830
    Birth Place: Edgefield County, South Carolina, United States of America
    Death Date: Oct 1906
    Death Place: Crenshaw County, Alabama, United States of America
    Cemetery: Black Rock Cemetery
    Burial or Cremation Place: Black Rock, Crenshaw County, Alabama, United States of America

[​IMG]
    Headstone

Enlistment record

William D. Tindal
    Birth Date:
    abt 1831 Note:(it was actually 1830)
    Enlistment Date:
    15 May 1862
    Enlistment Place: Alabama, USA
    Enlistment Age: 31
    Military Branch: Infantry
    Regiment or Unit: 39th Alabama Regiment
    Company Unit: K
    Enlistment Info: Age 31 Alabama, Barbour County, Private
    Author: Muster in Roll Alabama, Opelika, 1862/05/15.

Muster Rolls

[​IMG][​IMG]

I transcribed them here:

Muster Roll-Co. K, 39th Alabama-dated March 1 to June 30,1862-at Tupelo, Miss.

39th Regiment Ala. Vols. was organized 15 May,1862 at Opelika, Ala. Left Opelika 25 May 1862 for Corinth Miss. Reached Saltillo, Miss. When by evacuation of Corinth by Confederates had to march to Tupelo, Miss.

Muster Roll-Co. K, 39th Alabama-dated Sept & Oct,1863-at Missionary Ridge.

During the time included between the musters of 31 Aug, 63 and 31 Oct, 63 this company has been engaged in marching and counter marching, eager to fight the enemy, & on 20 Sept, 63 about 10 o'clock a.m. we began the fight and drove them from behind four (4) different line of breastworks. We drove them at least two (2) miles. We (our Regt.) captured a few pieces of artillery. Since the battle we have been doing picket duty in front of Chattanooga, Tenn.

I've got a couple of pension records that I didn't post as well. Btw, there are beaucoup Tindal's that enlisted in South Carolina, bet they're relatives.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2022
    Slipdigit likes this.
  15. Slipdigit

I do genealogy research as a hobby and have a GEDCOM (if that means anything to you) of about 11,000 names, with varying degrees of associated data..
    I have nearly all my lines traced back to around the Revolution, with many reaching back further than that, including his.

A large portion of my family settled in the area where he is buried and I have been to the grave, but it has been a long time. I have all the personal information you provided, but thanks for looking. I appreciate it.

On a side note, if you looked at his page on Find-a-grave, look at the photo of his daughter, Nancy, and her husband. That photo hung in the hall of my great-grandfather's home. It scared the bejeebers out of me when I was child, having to walk up that hallway in the dark. Bare in mind, it is a large home built in the 1860s with a large porch and columns across the front. The hall went the length of the house and was quite large, essentially a room unto itself, with ceilings 14 feet tall. It had huge double doors at each end with windows along the tops and down each side. Outside lights shinning through added to the scary atmosphere, along with the creaking boards of the floor. The photo is kinda large, with a convex glass on it that made them appear to follow me even more so. Then, there was that coat she is wearing and the severe hair style.