Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Difference between GHQ, LoC and army troops engineers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Distinction of badges, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Distinction of badges

Distinction of badges New Member

Hi all,
    I am new in this forum. I have questions regarding the composition of GHQ, Army and LoC troops engineers of 21st army group/ 15th army group/ BEF. More elaborately, Divisional Engineers was composed of 3 field companies, 1 field park company and 1 bridging platoon. Whereas, Corps Engineers had 3 field companies, 1 field park company, 1 Electrical Mechanical section and 1 field survey section.
    My question is what were the composition of Army Group RE, GHQ, Army and LoC engineers of 21st army group/ 15th army group/ BEF please?
    Regards
    Shams

Otto likes this.
  2. RichTO90

RichTO90 Well-Known Member

The AGRE in 21st Army Group were 8th, 10th-14th, and 18th. In Eighth Army in Italy they were 14th (until c. January 1944), 16th, 20th (Airfields), 22nd, 24th, and 'G' (ad hoc in 1945 only). They were headquarters organizations only and had no fixed structure.

The GHQ Troops RE were 1st, 2nd, 4th-8th, 13th-16th, 18th-21st, 48th, 50th, 59th, 1210th, and 'E' (later redesignated as 20th). They did not have a fixed organization, but typically were three Field Companies RE and a Field Park Company. 15th was actually the redesignated 1st. 50th and 59th were originally the divisional engineers of those divisions, which were retained after the divisions disbanded. 5th and 6th became first Assault Troops RE, then Assault Regiment RE, and finally Armoured Engineer Regiments. Most served in NWE, 2nd, 14th, 16th, 20th ('E'), and 21st in North Africa and Italy.

The Army Troops RE were 1st, 2nd, 6th, and 8th (8th was actually the redesignated 1st). They also did not have a fixed organization, but typically were three Field Companies RE and a Field Park Company. 1st served First Army and then Eighth Army (thus the redesignation). The others in NWE.

HQ LofCTroops RE were No, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10, 11, and 14, all with 21st Army Group. They were a HQ only and had no permanent organization.

Distinction of badges likes this.
  3. Distinction of badges

Distinction of badges New Member

Thanks RichTO90. Whats about port operating group, companies; railways construction and operating group, companies; road construction companies; general construction companies; artisan companies; some other RE units? How did these units of RE are distributed in GHQ, army and LoC please? Is there any book that I can find the distribution of RE, RASC, RAMC, REME, RAOC in GHQ, army and LoC please?
    Regards
    Shams